wikiHow works on the principle of a wiki, which means that many of our articles are written by several authors. When creating this article, volunteer authors worked on its editing and improvement.
The number of sources used in this article: 9. You will find a list of them at the bottom of the page.
Cereal bars are a great way to eat in a hurry and get the necessary nutrients. They are also gaining popularity, in 2010 in the United States it was possible to find about 550 different grain tiles. Unfortunately, not all of them purchased in supermarkets can be called healthy. Many contain too much sugar and sodium without the right amount of nutritious calories. They can also be very expensive. Alternative and nutritious snack bars exist.
What is the use of bars?
The popularity of bars is due to the fact that they have many advantages. You can list the following:
- good taste
- a small calorie content that you can pick up on your own if you cook diet cereal muesli bars at home,
- does not require special storage conditions,
- is inexpensive,
- convenient to take on the road.
Fans of healthy eating prefer to eat such bars for breakfast - they are tasty and able to energize for a long time. If you make muesli bars at home, you can choose for yourself a convenient composition, calorie content. Having made a batch of such bars, you can not waste time preparing breakfast until they are over.
What it is?
Energy bars today can be found not only in sports nutrition stores, but also in some supermarkets. And what is it? This bar is a bar that looks like chocolate and consists of ingredients that allow you to get a boost of vigor.
All bars can be divided into several groups:
- Carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are the main source of energy, so they must be present in the diet.
- Protein (protein). Protein is essential for the normal functioning of muscles with their active work (for example, during training).
- Vitamin. Vitamins for sports and active lifestyle are also necessary.
- Combined. They can contain both carbohydrates and vitamins and proteins. Such a bar will not only give energy, but also ensure the normal functioning of the muscles and improve health.
What exactly to choose? It all depends on your goals. For intensive workouts, protein bars will be optimal, for energy - carbohydrate, to increase vitality - vitamin or combined.
How to use energy bars? Here are some helpful suggestions:
- It is better to eat carbohydrate bars before training in order to get a boost of energy and train more efficiently. Eat one tile half an hour or an hour before class, and you will feel a surge of strength.
- During training, the muscles work actively, and after exercise they must recover. It's time to eat a protein bar that will replenish protein reserves and will nourish muscle tissue.
- Combined bars can be eaten in the morning or in the morning instead of a snack.
Do not abuse, because the calorie content of the bars is very high. One or two a day is enough. In addition, you should not eat such bars at night, calories and carbohydrates do not have time to burn, and everything will go "in reserve".
What is included in the bars?
The blank for muesli bars is a mixture of several components. It contains everything that the body may require for good functioning - amino acids, vitamins, minerals. Bars differ from cereals consumed for breakfast in that they retain all the beneficial properties of cereals. And when cooking cereals for porridge, a lot of substances are lost.
The bars for the most part contain whole grains, which have a beneficial effect on intestinal motility and improve the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract. Cereals are a good source of fiber. It significantly improves the flow of metabolic processes in the body, helps to break down carbohydrates faster and maintain a good shape. The effect of fiber on the process of splitting fats normalizes cholesterol.
Including dried fruits, you can enrich the bars with vitamins and minerals.
It is also important that the digestion of muesli lasts quite a long time. They are able to maintain a sense of fullness and are great as a light snack. Saturation is not accompanied by surges in sugar - because in the treat there are both “fast” and “slow” carbohydrates.
Muesli bar easily replaces cookies and sweets, reduces cravings for confectionery.
What ingredients can be included?
Here's what bars can be made of:
- Cereals. This option is ideal, because healthy cereals are solid carbohydrates. But it is worth noting that these carbohydrates are correct, that is, they are consumed slowly, and do not chip on the stomach, hips and other problem areas in the form of extra pounds.
- Nuts are a source of protein and essential fatty acids. A handful of nuts won't hurt anyone.
- Fruits and berries. It is not only tasty, but also healthy. They contain vitamins, fiber, minerals, various macro and micro elements.
- Dried fruits. A handful of dried fruits will help to get enough and replenish energy reserves.
- Chocolate or cocoa. It contains invigorating caffeine, as well as carbohydrates.
- Honey is a wonderful vitamin product that will give the bar a pleasant taste.
We offer several recipes for energy bars.
Composition, benefits and harms
The main ingredient in muesli bars is pressed cereals (oats, barley, wheat or rye). To give the finished product more benefits, nutrition and taste in the main component, add dried berries and fruits, nuts and seeds, honey or molasses, chocolate, cocoa, yogurt.
According to the technology of preparation, the bars are raw, not heat-treated, and baked or fried. Raw muesli is considered more useful and less high-calorie, but they are more difficult to absorb by the body than bars baked with added oils at high temperatures.
The beneficial properties of muesli bars are due to their multicomponent composition:
- Whole grains give the body the necessary amount of fiber, which has a beneficial effect on intestinal motility, normalizes the processes of carbohydrate metabolism in the body, and gives a long-lasting feeling of satiety to the body,
- Dried fruits and honey are a rich source of vitamins and beneficial macro- and microelements, slow and fast carbohydrates that can saturate a person for a long time, without causing sudden changes in blood sugar,
- Nuts and seeds, as well as varieties of expensive fish, can fully provide the body with unsaturated fatty acids (Omega-3, Omega-6), as well as proteins, fiber, iron, phosphorus and vitamins of groups B, E and A.
In addition to the benefits listed for the body, muesli bars are a convenient snack on the road, which not only can completely replace sweets, waffles and cookies, but also significantly reduce the craving for sweets.
Despite all the advantages, some nutritionists still see the shortcomings of this food product, which can harm the human body. This is primarily a high calorie content and a significant content of fructose and sucrose, which is rich in dried fruits. Therefore, it is not recommended to eat more than 30 grams of muesli bars per day, and people with diabetes should generally abandon them.
Lasagna with bechamel sauce - try to cook a delicious dish according to our recipes.
How to make a delicious soup with fresh champignons - take note of a few recipes for this dish.
How to brew green teas and how to drink it, read our article.
|oat or other cereal flakes -||200 g|
|assorted nuts and seeds -||200 g|
|dried fruits (dried apricots, prunes, raisins) and dried berries -||200 g|
|honey -||70 g|
|fruit juice -||60 ml|
|refined vegetable oil -||10 ml|
|Cooking time: 40 minutes||Calories per 100 grams: 402 Kcal|
The composition of the store muesli bars (they are granola) upon closer examination is not so harmless. Of course, over a hundred years the technology of their production has changed significantly, and the composition managed to be enriched with various preservatives, stabilizers and dyes.
This has turned industrial granola into a rather dubious product, but it’s absolutely easy to make more healthy pressed cereal bars at home.
How to cook your own muesli bars:
- Nuts and large seeds (for example, pumpkin) need to be chopped with a knife into smaller pieces,
- Grind half dried fruit with a few drops of honey to a smoothie condition. Grind the other half of dried berries and fruits with a knife,
- In a vessel of a suitable size, mix all the products, mix the mass well so that it becomes homogeneous,
- Spread the resulting mass evenly on a baking sheet covered with baking paper. The thickness of the layer should not exceed one and a half centimeters,
- Dry the oatmeal mass in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 180 degrees. Cut a hot layer of granola into portioned bars and cool.
- 200 grams of prunes,
- 200 grams of dried apricots,
- 100 grams of dried cranberries,
- 100 grams of roasted peanuts,
- 100 grams of walnuts,
- 50 grams of sesame seeds,
- 50 grams of flax seeds.
- Pour dried fruits and dried cranberries with warm water for 10-20 minutes to soften everything. Then immerse all this in a meat grinder or blender and grind to a state of homogeneous mass.
- Smash peanuts and walnuts with your hands or cut into small pieces with a knife (you can also use a blender to chop).
- Mix the dried fruit mass with the nuts.
- Form sausages, roll them in flax seeds and sesame seeds, wrap in foil or parchment and put them in the refrigerator for several hours.
How to Make Muesli Bars at Home
Before making muesli bars, decide on the ingredients. For example, you can use fruit puree instead of butter for the base - the product is airy, delicate in taste and very aromatic.
If you are planning to make muesli bars with your own hands, you can easily find the recipe with photos on the Internet. The ingredients should be suitable for your diet. If they do not all coincide with your intended nutrition system, you can replace them by specifying the caloric content of the components.
How to make a muesli bar at home and choose your own ingredients
If you do not have strict dietary restrictions or you simply make candy bars as a treat, a substitute for store confectionery, the options may be different. The basic rule is maintaining proportions. The same recipe can be used in different ways, replacing oatmeal with a mixture, seeds with nuts, choosing your favorite dried fruit. The addition of chocolate gives satiety and helps to recharge your batteries.
How to make muesli bars: recipe number 1
- Oatmeal - 250 g
- Dates, dried apricots - 100 g each
- Raisins light and dark - 50 g each
- Sesame - 2 tablespoons
- Pumpkin and sunflower seeds (peeled) - 4 tablespoons each
- Honey - 70 g
- Butter - 60 g
- Blackberry - 120 g
- Strawberry - 180 g
- An average-sized apple is 1 piece.
- Select a deep bowl, place flakes, seeds, sesame, raisins in it.
- Remove dates from the dates, cut them together with dried apricots into small pieces.
- Combine the dried fruit with a mixture of oats and seeds, stir.
- Prepare a fruit base - first you need to chop the berries in a blender.
- Then pass the mass from the blender through a sieve.
- Grate the apple, combine with mashed berries and stir.
- Pour the puree into a bowl with dried fruits and seeds.
- Mix the oil in a separate saucepan with honey, put on a fire and warm, stirring, to the state of syrup.
- Pour the syrup to the main mixture and mix until smooth.
- Take a baking dish - the ideal size is 25x25 cm or close to it. Cover the mold with baking paper and spread the mixture, trying to ram it tightly. The layer should be as tight as possible, otherwise the bars will crumble.
- Put the mass in the oven. Bake for about an hour, at a temperature of 150 degrees.
- Remove the form from the oven, cool, pour over pre-melted chocolate. Then put it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
Cut the formation into pieces. Ready-made bars can be stored in the refrigerator.
How to make muesli bars at home: recipe number 2 (indicating calories)
Ingredients for 10 servings:
- 10 g each of prunes, dried apricots, almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, dates,
- one banana
- sesame seeds - 5 g,
- vegetable oil - 40 ml,
- sugar - 10 g
- oat flakes - 70 g.
Nutrition value per 100 g with this set of ingredients:
Calories 364 kcal,
- Grind prunes, dried apricots and dates, put in a bowl.
- Add oatmeal.
- Add chopped nuts, sesame seeds.
- Beat a banana with sugar and butter in a blender.
- Add the contents of the blender to the cereal, mix with a fork.
- Put the mass on parchment paper, flatten.
- Place on a baking sheet and dry for 10 minutes in the oven at a temperature of 170 degrees.
At the end of cooking, remove the baking sheet from the oven, cool it, cut the mass into bars.
The set of ingredients is as follows:
- 100 grams of hazelnuts,
- 100 grams of almonds,
- 50 grams of coconut,
- 100 grams of sunflower seeds,
- 100 grams of dried pineapple,
- 400 grams of oatmeal
- 100 grams of honey
- 50 grams of butter.
- First, pour oatmeal, coconut, almonds, seeds, and hazelnuts into the pan. Fry everything without adding oil for about 5-10 minutes.
- Cut the pineapples into slices, add to the rest of the ingredients.
- Melt the butter in a water bath, add honey, mix everything until smooth.
- Combine honey with oil with the rest of the ingredients, mix everything thoroughly.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with baking paper, spread the mass.
- Remove the pan for 3-4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Self-made energy bars are ready!
Here is what you need:
- 100 grams of dried cherries,
- 1 cup muesli
- 100 grams of dates
- 50 grams of pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons of cane sugar
- 50 grams of honey
- 50 grams of butter.
- Fry pumpkin seeds and granola in a pan until golden brown (do not overdo it!). No need to add oil.
- Slice cherries and dates into small pieces.
- Now prepare the syrup filling. Melt the butter in a water bath. Add sugar and wait until it is completely melted. Then remove the container from the water bath, add honey and cocoa, mix everything.
- Mix seeds and nuts with dates and cherries, pour in syrup. Mix everything thoroughly.
- Take a plastic container, cover it with foil, lay inside the even mass that you got.
- Put the container in the refrigerator for several hours.
- Enjoy the energy bars!
Cook tasty and healthy energy bars and energize yourself and your family.
Muesli Diet Bars
The recipe for homemade granola bars does not include vegetable oil and honey. They are excluded as additional sources of calories. Also, such a treat will fit perfectly into the menu of fasting people. The given basic combination of products can be changed, for example, replacing part of the banana pulp with a grated apple.
Products for the dietary version of cereal snack should be taken in the following ratio:
- 300 g of ripe bananas (3-4 pieces),
- 300 g oatmeal
- 50 g chopped pitted dates
- 50 g sliced dried apricots,
- 100 g chopped almonds or walnuts,
- 5 g of cinnamon
- 7 g of vanilla powder.
The cooking time is 50-55 minutes.
One hundred grams of the diet bar will have 292.2 kilocalories.
- Mash bananas with a fork, add oatmeal, dried fruits and nuts, cinnamon and vanilla. Mix the mass well
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees. Cover the baking sheet with parchment so that it also covers the side walls,
- Tamp the banana-oat mixture tightly on a baking sheet and send to the oven for 35-40 minutes. To make granola more crisp, you need to hold it in the oven longer. After cooling, the layer should be cut into bars.
Jamie Oliver’s DIY Muesli Bars
It would be very surprising if the world-famous chef, popularizing home cooking and healthy eating, would not have his own recipe for making these bars, which he also calls energy bars. Jamie Oliver has several recipes for muesli bars: with chestnuts and spices, as well as with dark chocolate and dried fruits.
Since not everyone likes pronounced spicy tastes, you can cook a sweeter, but less high-calorie version of energy bars, for which you need:
- 250 g oatmeal
- 100 g assorted seeds,
- 75 g shellless pistachios,
- 150 ml of water
- 100 g dried apricots,
- 100 g pitted dates
- 50 g extra chocolate
- 60 ml almond oil,
- 100 ml maple syrup
- 10-20 ml of olive oil to grease the pan.
For the preparation of granola according to the recipe D.Oliver will have to spend 110 minutes.
The calorie content of the energy bar will be 164.0 kcal / 100 g.
- On a greased baking sheet, fry for 20 minutes in the oven, stirring occasionally, chopped pistachios, seeds and oatmeal. As a result of frying, the mixture should acquire a beautiful golden color,
- Boil maple syrup, chopped dates, water and almond oil for 10 minutes in a saucepan, and then grind in a uniform sticky sauce,
- In a bowl of a suitable volume, combine crushed apricots, roasted walnut-oat mixture, sweet sauce and crushed chocolate,
- Tamp the well-mixed mixture in the form of a size of 20 by 20 cm and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
Making muesli bars at home is not difficult, it is only important to consider two points:
- The composition of the bar should include “sticking” ingredients. It can be honey, pasta made from nuts or dried fruits, or chocolate chips,
- Mix the mixture very carefully and compact in the mold. The more diligently this is done, the stronger the finished bars will be.
Usually you don’t hear this about sweets, but in this particular case, you can safely say: “Eat to health!”