Oatmeal is the most healthy breakfast option that is easy to prepare. How to cook oatmeal, not every housewife knows. All you need to do is learn how to cook oatmeal properly. You can learn how to cook oatmeal in water and milk from our article.
The benefits of oatmeal
Oatmeal is rich in fiber and dietary fiber, one of which is β-glucan, which stabilizes cholesterol in the body and lowers blood sugar. Oats are also rich in magnesium, phosphorus, chromium, zinc, nickel, calcium, potassium. Oatmeal also helps to maintain a sense of fullness, which will undoubtedly delight people who are watching their figure and parents who are careful in choosing foods for their child’s diet.
How to cook oatmeal?
Oatmeal can be cooked in both water and milk. How much to cook oatmeal in milk, and how much in water? Cooking time is independent of the liquid used during cooking. All packages of cereals and cereals indicate the exact cooking time. It depends on the size of the flakes and their thickness. The average cooking time is 5-10 minutes.
To make porridge less oily, you can dilute the milk with water, approximately ½ part of water to ½ part of milk. For taste, some add a little cream, thanks to which oatmeal becomes more tender. Some oatmeal does not require cooking, so they are simply poured with boiling water, juice, kefir or other sour-milk products.
How to cook oatmeal porridge in milk can be found in our article "HOW TO BOIL Porridge with milk without problems", where detailed recipes for each type of porridge are given.
How to cook oatmeal?
How many minutes to cook oatmeal? Cooking time for oatmeal depends on the size of the oatmeal. If oatmeal is large, cook for about 15 minutes. Medium grinding - 5-7 minutes, instant cooking - 1 minute.
Oatmeal, which we most often see on store shelves, is not oatmeal, although it is made from it. Croup is never flattened, it is harder and needs long cooking. They thought up making flakes out of it in order to reduce the cooking time for a tasty and healthy breakfast. However, porridge from whole grains, according to nutritionists, remains the most useful. Therefore, the modern housewife does not hurt to learn how to cook oatmeal from cereals and cereals of different grinding. To do this, she needs to know several important points.
- In addition to whole oatmeal, oat flakes of various sizes are available for sale. In our country, a certain classification is adopted. The oatmeal of the largest grinding is called "Hercules", referring us to the exploits of the mythical character Hercules, famous for his strength. Finely ground oatmeal is called Extra 1, Extra 2 and Extra 3. The higher the number in the marking of cereals, the finer the grinding. Recently, oat flakes have appeared even smaller and more tender, requiring no cooking at all: it is enough to pour boiling water on them and wait a few minutes. This significantly saves time for making breakfast, but reduces its very value to the body.
- Sometimes it happens that cooked oatmeal is bitter. Sometimes the problem is the quality of water, but more often the cause is improper or too long storage of cereals. Fresh oatmeal has a milky, sometimes creamy tint, smelling pleasantly oatmeal. If their color and smell confuse you, it is better to refuse to make porridge from them.
- Hercules groats require prior preparation. First, it is thoroughly washed, rubbing the grains with your hands, then soaked for 2 hours in cool water. Then it will take 40 minutes to cook porridge on water, an hour on milk. If you cook porridge from oatmeal without first soaking it, it will take about two hours. Almost no housewife has this time in the mornings, therefore more often oatmeal “Hercules” or “Extra” is used for cooking porridge.
- Oat flakes of any grinding before use are not required to be washed and not even recommended, especially when it comes to fine flakes.
- Time for preparing cereal oatmeal depends on how coarse they are grinding. From Hercules porridge is cooked for 20 minutes, from Extra 1 flakes - for 15 minutes. Extra 2 flakes require 10 minutes of cooking. Extra 3 cereal porridge will be ready in 5 minutes. Porridge is cooked a little faster on water than on milk, but this difference is insignificant.
- To prevent porridge from burning, it is recommended to cook it in an enameled pan with a double bottom. If there are no such dishes in the house, you can use a non-stick pan. Successful oatmeal comes out in a slow cooker.
- When cooking oatmeal from cereal in a slow cooker, it is recommended to use the program "Milk porridge". If the unit does not have such a function, you can use any program designed to prepare cereal dishes. It can be called "Rice", "Pilaf", "Buckwheat" or otherwise. This program is used to make porridge from whole oatmeal.
- Cooking time for oatmeal in a slow cooker is 10-30 minutes, if it is cooked from cereal, 40-60 minutes - if it is cooked from whole grains.
- To prevent milk from escaping when cooking porridge in the multicooker, the walls of the multicooker bowl are lubricated with butter at about the middle of its height. It turns out a border that milk can not overcome when boiling.
Oatmeal is often supplemented with fresh and dried fruits, even if it is boiled in water without sugar. It goes especially well with bananas, apples and raisins. You can also add nuts and chocolate to porridge. The creamy taste of the dish will help to give butter. Oatmeal with pumpkin, vegetable frying is considered delicious. Sometimes it is cooked with stew or boiled meat. Changing additives, you can get a meal with unique organoleptic qualities. This allows you to significantly diversify the family menu, making oatmeal with different tastes for breakfast.
Proportions of cereals and liquids
The result when cooking cereals often depends on the correct ratio of cereals and liquids.
- For cooking oatmeal from whole grains per 100 g of the main product, it is recommended to take 400-500 ml of water or 600-800 ml of milk. If a mixture of milk and water is used, then 0.5-0.6 l of liquid is taken per 100 g of cereal. The more liquid, the longer it takes to cook porridge and the thinner it will turn out.
- When cooking oatmeal from flakes of any grinding on water, take 1.5 cups of water in a glass of oatmeal to get a thick porridge, or 2 cups to cook a viscous one.
- When cooking milk porridge from cereal to obtain viscous porridge, take 2 cups of milk per glass of cereal. Viscous porridge will come out if you take 1 part more milk. The third glass of milk is usually not added immediately, but after the porridge has already begun to thicken. To get a 150-gram serving of oatmeal, take a quarter cup of cereal and three quarters of a glass of milk.
- For children, liquid oatmeal porridge is sometimes boiled. Then add 4 cups of milk to a glass of cereal.
- The proportions of cereals and liquids when cooking oatmeal in a slow cooker will be the same as when cooking it in a pan.
In a glass with a capacity of 250 ml, 95 g of Hercules flakes are placed, in a glass with a capacity of 200 ml - only 80 g.
The energy value oatmeal, boiled in water without sugar and other additives, is only 90 kcal. Unsweetened milk oatmeal porridge has an energy value of about 105 kcal. Sugar, fruits, butter and other ingredients can increase the calorie content of oatmeal to 200 kcal or more, so you should be careful with these additives, especially if you are on a diet.
Important! Oatmeal is called a product of youth and beauty. It contains a significant amount of antioxidants that help the body resist the damaging effects of free radicals, and biotin, which is necessary for good skin and hair condition.
Also, oats have many substances that help improve the condition of the heart and blood vessels.
Oatmeal, from which cereals are usually boiled, contribute to a gentle cleansing of the intestines.
The complex of vitamins and minerals contained in Hercules flakes helps to maintain the body in good shape, has general strengthening properties.
However, experts do not recommend eating oatmeal daily, especially for children and the elderly, since there are substances in oats, interfering with the absorption of calciumthat can negatively affect health. Oatmeal is given to children only from 8-10 months and not more often 1-2 times a week.
1. Boil water.
2. Add large oatmeal and, stirring well, cook for 15 minutes.
3. Add sugar and salt to taste.
4. After the porridge is ready, cover it with a lid and let it stand for 2 minutes so that the oatmeal will absorb excess moisture.
5. Oatmeal can be served in a cold, hot form, if desired, you can add milk and garnish with berries.
Large oat flakes are made from whole, uncut oat grains that are flattened into flakes. In large oatmeal, the flavor is preserved, and all the micro and macro elements of oats.
You can cook oatmeal in water, but in milk it will be healthier, nourishing and tastier. For children, the second option will be more suitable: milk gives the porridge taste and aroma.
Please note: oatmeal is a very satisfying, and at the same time light meal, which takes 15-30 minutes to prepare. Time depends on which grains are used for cooking porridge.
In order to cook oatmeal according to this recipe, you will need:
- 1 cup whole oatmeal grains
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- 50 g of butter.
Rinse oatmeal grains thoroughly. You can even soak them briefly in a pot of water to reduce cooking time.
Oatmeal cooking time depends on the density and grain size
- Pour milk into the pan, put on a quiet fire. While stirring, bring to a boil. Do not leave milk unattended, it can run away in a matter of moments.
- Pour oatmeal into boiling milk and mix well. Boil for 15 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Cover the pan and let it brew for another 5 minutes. During this time, the grains will increase in volume.
- Add the butter to the porridge. Cover again and leave for another 5 minutes.
- Now the porridge is ready. You can add honey, fruits, berries, jam, candied fruits, nuts to it - everything that your fantasy tells you.
If you use water instead of milk, porridge will turn out to be lighter and lower in calories. This option is often recommended by nutritionists.
Probably the most popular oatmeal in England. In any case, we know about this from books, films, series about this wonderful country. So, the British know a lot about cooking oatmeal. For this recipe, we will need the usual foods, but the porridge is thicker. You will need:
- 1 cup whole oatmeal grains
- 1.5 cups of water
- salt and sugar to taste,
- Rinse oatmeal grains thoroughly several times to remove all husks. It is best to use boiled water.
- Boil water, add oatmeal, mix, add sugar or salt. Cook porridge in a quiet fire for 10-15 minutes.
- After the oatmeal is cooked, cover the pan with a lid and let it brew for 5-7 minutes.
- Serve English oatmeal in deep plates, adding boiled hot milk. You can add sour cream to make the porridge more saturated.
English oatmeal is good in that it can be eaten not only sweet, but also salty. In sweet porridge, add berries, fruit slices, honey, nuts. Salted can be flavored with pepper, basil, herbs and spices.
In oatmeal porridge in milk, you can add any berries and fruits.
Instead of whole grains, cereals can be used. This will significantly reduce cooking time. But in English oatmeal, whole grains are traditionally used.
Cooking oatmeal in a slow cooker and microwave
Of course, preparing any dish takes some time. And even for a simple oatmeal porridge you will need about 20 minutes, and in the morning, unfortunately, not every one of us can afford it. Therefore, our indispensable helpers are representatives of kitchen appliances. For example, a crock-pot is a very convenient device that will independently prepare for you several dishes at once.
In order to cook oatmeal in a slow cooker, take these products:
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 3 cups of milk
- 30 grams of butter,
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- salt to taste.
For the supplement, you can take berries, fruits, jam, honey, marmalade, candied fruit and more, which will tell you imagination.
Take a bowl of a multicooker and grease butter in a circle so that the milk does not run away. Put another piece of oil on the bottom. Pour oatmeal and pour milk diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 1. You can also add cream, oatmeal will be even tastier and richer.
Close the cover of the multicooker, select the "Porridge" mode. Usually it is designed for 40 minutes, but in this case, most likely, we mean porridge from cereals, which boil for much longer. For oatmeal, 10 minutes is enough. I recommend that you experiment to find the right time for your device model. After the cooking time has passed, leave the porridge for another 5 minutes so that it brews.
Cooking oatmeal in milk in a slow cooker does not require you time
Put the porridge on the plates and add what your children love. Each plate may have a different additive. So oatmeal will not bother the kids, and every morning they will have a new dish.
According to the same recipe, oatmeal can be cooked in the microwave. Take these products:
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 200 ml of hot water (boiling water),
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp butter
- sugar and salt to taste.
Take a dish suitable for a microwave, pour oatmeal in it with boiling water, and salt. Microwave for 5 minutes. After that, add milk and cook for another 3 minutes. Give the porridge a little time to brew, add sugar and butter. Porridge is ready, bon appetit!
1. When cooking porridge in the microwave, choose a large, deep cup for cooking.
2. Instant oat flakes are optional. Pour liquid and leave overnight, and just warm up in the morning. Less cooking - more stored vitamins.
3. After the porridge is ready, cover it with a lid and let it stand for 2 minutes so that the oatmeal will absorb excess moisture.
There is a slow cooker, but you don’t know how to cook porridge in it? Use our article "How to cook porridge in a slow cooker".
What determines the consistency of oatmeal cookies, how do various ingredients affect the taste and appearance? Learn all about oatmeal cookies from our super-study.
Wholemeal oatmeal on water
- oat groats (whole) - 100 g,
- water - 0.5 l
- salt - 2 g
- butter or vegetable oil, sugar - to taste.
- Rinse the cereals to clean water, transfer to a pan, fill with water. Leave for 2 hours.
- Rinse the cereals, return to the pan, pour clean water.
- Bring the water to a boil, cook the oatmeal for 40 minutes, periodically removing the adhesive film from the surface.
- Add butter, sugar and salt, mix.
- Darken porridge over low heat for 5 minutes.
- After removing the pan with porridge from the fire, wrap it and leave it for another 20-30 minutes.
Porridge boiled in water from whole oatmeal is considered the most useful. It is recommended to eat to those who follow a diet.
Hercules porridge on the water
- oat flakes "Hercules" - 40 g,
- water - 0.2 l
- salt is a pinch
- sugar (optional) - 5-10 g,
- butter (optional) - 20 g.
- Boil water, pour sugar and salt into it. Stir until completely dissolved.
- Pour in hercules flakes, mix. Cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
- Add oil, mix porridge. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Wrap the pan with porridge with a towel and leave for 10-15 minutes, until it reaches readiness.
Oatmeal in water can be prepared without sugar. Butter can be replaced with vegetable oil. Often, proponents of a healthy diet flavored oatmeal with linseed oil. This product becomes useless when heated, so it is added to an already prepared porridge, laid out on plates. Sugar in cereal can be replaced with honey. It is also desirable to add it to an already prepared dish so that it retains a maximum of useful properties.
Cereal oatmeal in milk
- oatmeal - 40 g,
- milk - 0.3 l
- sugar - 10 g
- salt is a pinch
- water - 20 ml
- butter - 25 g.
- At the bottom of the pan, pour a spoonful of cold water - this is necessary so that the milk does not stick.
- Add a glass of milk. Bring it to a boil.
- Pour sugar and salt into boiling milk, stir.
- Add oatmeal. Cook porridge until it begins to thicken.
- Add the remaining milk, mix. Cook porridge for a couple of minutes, mix, remove from heat.
- Add oil to porridge, mix.
- Кастрюлю накройте крышкой, укутайте, оставьте на 10-15 минут. За это время каша еще немного загустеет и приобретет оптимальную консистенцию.
Каша, сваренная из овсяных хлопьев на молоке, получается нежной и вкусной. Она нравится и взрослым, и детям.
Молочная каша из овсяных хлопьев в мультиварке
- hercules flakes - 95 g,
- milk - 0.75 l
- salt is a pinch
- sugar - 20 g
- butter - 30 g.
- Pour cereal, salt, and sugar into the multicooker bowl.
- With butter at about the middle of the height of the multicooker bowl, draw a line - this will be the border that milk cannot overcome when boiling. Put the remaining oil on the cereal.
- Pour milk into the capacity of the multicooker, mix.
- Turn on the unit by activating the program "Milk porridge". In its absence, run the program "Porridge", "Krupa", "Rice" or similar. Set the timer for 10 minutes if you have finely ground oatmeal, 20 minutes if it is Extra 2 or Extra 1. When cooking porridge from Hercules flakes, set the cooking time to 30 minutes.
After the program ends, leave the porridge in the heating mode for another 10 minutes, then it will become much tastier.
Whole-grain oatmeal with vegetables in a slow cooker
- whole oatmeal - 100 g,
- water or broth - 0.5 l,
- onions - 100 g,
- carrots - 100 g
- refined vegetable oil - 40 ml,
- salt, spices - to taste.
- Rinse cereals, soak for 2 hours in cool water.
- Free the onion from the husk, cut into small cubes.
- Scrape the carrots, wash, dry with a napkin, chop on a grater with large holes.
- Pour oil into the multicooker bowl, put onions and carrots in it.
- Turn on the appliance by activating the “Frying” program. If your multicooker model does not have such a program, activate the Baking program.
- After 10 minutes, turn off the appliance. Pour the prepared cereal into the multicooker bowl. Add salt and spices, mix.
- Fill the food with water. Start the appliance in the cooking mode of cereals for 40 minutes.
- Stir the porridge. Leave it on for another half an hour in heating mode.
Whole oat porridge can be cooked with stew, then it will be even tastier. Stew is added 40 minutes after making porridge in the main mode and continue to cook in it for another 20 minutes. In the heating mode, then it is not necessary to languish the porridge.
Herculean porridge with fresh berries
- hercules flakes (coarse grinding) - 95 g,
- water - 0.5 l
- fresh berries - 100 g,
- sugar (optional) - 10-20 g,
- salt is a pinch.
- Mix hercules flakes with salt and sugar. Put in a pan.
- Boil water, fill in hercules flakes, mix.
- Put the pot on the fire. Cook porridge over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Sort, wash the berries. They can also be crushed, but this is not necessary.
- Put the berries or mashed potatoes in a pan with porridge, mix. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the porridge is cooked.
You can cook porridge with frozen berries, but then you will have to add sugar, as frozen berries usually turn out to be much more acidic than fresh ones.
Oatmeal porridge with milk and raisins
- oat flakes "Extra" - 100 g,
- water - 0.25 l
- milk - 0.5 l
- raisins - 100 g.
- Pour raisins with boiling water, after 5 minutes drain the water, squeeze the raisins.
- Dilute milk with water, bring to a boil.
- Pour in oat flakes, mix.
- Cook porridge for 5 minutes.
- Add steamed raisins and cook porridge until cooked.
Raisins can be replaced with other dried fruits, pre-steamed and cut into pieces. Then, add some sugar to the porridge, since raisins are sweeter than prunes and dried apricots.
Oat porridge is healthy and tasty. It can be cooked from whole grains or oatmeal. Dieters prefer to cook oatmeal in the water. Children prefer oatmeal in milk. Often this dish is supplemented with fresh and dried berries, fruits, less often - meat or vegetables. All options of the dish are good in their own way and worthy of taking a place in the diet of a person who follows health.
What happens oatmeal
Porridge can be made from oatmeal or cereal. Before cooking, the cereal is soaked for several hours and cooked for a rather long time: about 30-40 minutes. But she is also the most wholesome and delicious.
Flakes come in many forms:
- Extra number 1 - the thinnest, largest and most healthy of oatmeal. Cooking time is 15 minutes.
- Extra number 2 - thin flakes of smaller size, cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Extra number 3 - the thinnest and smallest, suitable for baby food. Cook quickly: 2–5 minutes.
- Hercules - thick large flakes steamed and therefore less healthy. Cook for about 20 minutes.
- Petals are thick flakes, but softer than oatmeal, and cook faster: about 10 minutes.
Always read the instructions on the packaging: the exact cooking time for a particular type of cereal is indicated there.
What proportions do you cook oatmeal
Porridge can be cooked in milk or in water. The volume of liquid depends on what consistency you want to get:
- for liquid oatmeal for 1 part cereal or cereal, take 3–3.5 parts of the liquid,
- for semi-viscous - proportion 1: 2.5,
- for viscous - 1: 2.
Half a cup of oatmeal or cereal is enough for one serving.
What you can add to oatmeal
Usually porridge is boiled with sugar or honey: for one serving - about one tablespoon of sweetener. To enhance the taste, you can also add a small pinch of salt and a slice of butter.
- berries, fruits and dried fruits,
- candied fruit,
- chocolate or cocoa
- vegetables: carrots or pumpkin,
- spices: cinnamon, cloves or others (to taste).
How to Cook Oatmeal in a Pan
Heat water or milk. When the liquid begins to boil, add cereal or cereal, a sweetener and a pinch of salt. While stirring, bring the porridge to a boil and reduce the heat.
Cook porridge until cooked, not forgetting to stir. Then remove from heat, cover and let stand for a couple of minutes. At the end, add toppings, a slice of butter and serve.
How to cook oatmeal in the microwave
Combine oatmeal, water, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Microwave and cook at maximum power for 1.5 minutes. Then mix the porridge and turn on the oven for another 20–40 seconds.
Make sure that the oatmeal does not run away: if it boils, then it is almost ready. Remove the porridge and let stand under the lid for several minutes.
For cooking in a microwave oven, it is better not to use milk: it runs away very quickly. It is also better to take instant cereals.
How to Cook Lazy Oatmeal
If you cook oatmeal in the morning for you - a feat, do this evening. Just fill in the quick-cooking flakes (extra No. 2 or 3) with hot milk or water, add the rest of the ingredients, cool to room temperature, cover and put in the refrigerator. Oatmeal will absorb all the liquid overnight, and the porridge will be ready. In the morning you just have to heat it in the microwave.
You can find delicious oatmeal recipes in these articles: