wikiHow works on the principle of a wiki, which means that many of our articles are written by several authors. When creating this article, 30 people worked on its editing and improvement, including anonymously.
The number of sources used in this article is 11. You will find a list of them at the bottom of the page.
Insomnia is a serious sleep disorder. Even one sleepless night can have serious consequences for the body. After a sleepless night, it is extremely difficult for a person to concentrate on work and on performing other daily tasks. In addition, insomnia negatively affects relationships between people. After reading this article, you will find useful tips on how to get a good night's sleep.
Why is sleep disturbed?
In children, frequent causes of insomnia become excessive stress on the nervous system (experiences, excess impressions) and overwork. Factors disturbing sleep in adults, much more. Insomnia may be due to changes in the regime of the day, leading to malfunctions of the circadian rhythm, uncomfortable conditions for rest, and some diseases. An important role in the occurrence of problems with night rest is given to psychological factors, especially chronic stress.
Normal sleep creates the conditions for full activity during the day. At the same time, all events that occurred during the wakeful period are reflected in the quality of night rest. Interpersonal conflicts, significant changes that violate the usual daily routine, strong feelings, including positive ones, are all variants of traumatic situations. In adult life, they occur daily, contributing to the development of stress. The latter negatively affects the quality of night rest, which inevitably leads to a deterioration in well-being during the day.
Sleep after stress is restless and superficial. A person cannot sleep, often wakes up. Lack of rest leads to daytime sleepiness, decreased attention, poor performance, exacerbates existing chronic diseases. For these reasons, close attention should be paid to restoring sleep.
How to deal with insomnia?
The use of sleeping pills is not the method with which to begin the fight against insomnia. How to properly normalize sleep in adults, without resorting to drug therapy:
- Correct the regimen of the day.
- Pay attention to sleep hygiene issues.
- Use psychotherapeutic techniques.
How to restore sleep if the above is not enough? You can take light sedatives: tincture of valerian or motherwort, new-passitis. Herbal remedies reduce the excitability of the central nervous system, contribute to falling asleep. More effective among OTC sleeping pills is melaxen, an analogue of the human sleep hormone. The advantages of this drug over strong hypnotics are as follows:
- No impact on sleep patterns.
- Daily activity does not suffer: there is no drowsiness, a feeling of weakness, decreased attention, and so on.
- Melaxen is not addictive or addictive.
- The drug is non-toxic.
- It does not depress breathing, which means it is safe for snoring and obstructive sleep apnea.
However, one should not forget that insomnia can be a symptom of a disease. In this case, correction of the regimen of the day, restoration of psychological comfort, and sometimes the use of light sleeping pills is not enough to solve the problem. In this situation, you can not do without the help of a specialist. To overcome insomnia, treatment of the underlying disease will be required.
The atmosphere in the bedroom
Creating comfortable conditions is a simple and effective way to establish a dream:
- The bed should be comfortable.
- Bedding is selected according to personal preference. Someone likes to sleep on a soft mattress, someone likes orthopedic. The same applies to the size and stiffness of the pillow, the thickness of the blanket, the fabric from which the bedding is sewn. Basic requirements: bedding should be made of quality material, not cause discomfort, periodically cleaned and replaced with new ones at the end of their life.
- There are no strict rules when choosing clothes for sleeping. The main thing is that a person feels comfortable.
- The atmosphere in the bedroom plays an important role. The room should not be stuffy, a temperature of 18-21 ° C is considered comfortable. Air humidity also matters. Its deficiency contributes to the drying of the mucous membranes, which is manifested by nasal congestion and difficulty in nasal breathing. One way to restore sleep is to use a humidifier. It should also be removed from the bedroom "dust collectors": soft toys, books, indoor plants.
How to establish a sleep mode? It is necessary to create optimal conditions for falling asleep:
- Eliminate sources of loud noises and pungent odors.
- Ensure dimming of the room.
- Quiet soothing music or monotonous sounds (fan noise) help some people fall asleep.
It must be remembered: the bed is designed for sleeping. Reading a book, watching TV or eating food while lying in bed should not be. The bed should be perceived solely as a sleeping place, staying in it should contribute to a feeling of drowsiness and a desire to fall asleep.
What needs to be done to want to sleep?
Organizing the right regimen of the day is another way to normalize sleep. Here are some points to consider:
- Daytime sleep is not always beneficial. If a person has slept in the afternoon, it is difficult for him to fall asleep in the evening.
- Moderate physical activity helps to cause a feeling of fatigue and reduces the time to fall asleep. However, it should be remembered: excessive loads lead to overwork and increase the excitability of the central nervous system. Do not exercise immediately before falling asleep. 2 hours before bedtime, any physical activity should be discontinued. The only exceptions are sex. The climax promotes psychological and physical relaxation and speeds up falling asleep.
- Pleasant soothing rituals help to cope with insomnia: a warm bath, massage, aromatherapy, calm music.
- Falling asleep and awakening should occur at a certain time.
Features of food have a significant impact on the quality of night rest. So, one should not sleep hungry or, on the contrary, have dinner too late (it is recommended to take food for the last time 2-3 hours before falling asleep). Some substances increase the excitability of the central nervous system. For this reason, caffeine-containing foods and drinks are consumed at least 6-8 hours before bedtime. Nicotine also disturbs falling asleep, therefore it is better to completely stop smoking. Do not abuse alcohol. In small doses, it has a calming effect, but in large doses it significantly disrupts the structure of sleep.
Taking sleeping pills is not the only method of restoring sleep. Strong hypnotics with prolonged use are addictive and addictive, can provoke drowsiness during the day, reduce concentration, reduce the reaction rate. Therefore, in the treatment of insomnia, preference is given to non-drug methods of exposure.
Experiences about the inability to fall asleep only exacerbate the problem. How to restore sleep if insomnia is the result of fear of an upcoming sleepless night? Behavioral correction methods can help:
- Drawing up a plan the next day, pondering over various issues should not be done in the evening. Increased mental activity, like physical activity, does not contribute to fast falling asleep and proper rest. Before going to bed, one should renounce anxiety and anxiety.
- Do not lie in bed if you do not want to sleep. The method, thus normalizing sleep, is to limit the time spent in bed while awake. If in the evening for 15 minutes it was not possible to fall asleep, you should get up. The next attempt to fall asleep is made after 40-50 minutes. It also takes 15 minutes to fall asleep. If the dream has not occurred, the described actions are repeated. In the morning you should not "lie down". After waking up, you can stay in bed for no more than 15 minutes. To get up, as well as fall asleep, preferably at the same time.
- You can’t force yourself to sleep. Failure provokes anxiety and fear of insomnia, which only worsens the situation.
- It is necessary to adequately perceive the existing problem. You should not focus on insomnia, fear it. Anxiety about poor sleep does not contribute to falling asleep.
It is important to understand: 2-3 hours before bedtime are not intended for vigorous activity. Activating and irritating actions should be avoided at this time. You should not argue before going to bed, laugh a lot, listen to loud music, watch action films and more.
How to restore sleep mode? It is necessary to deal with insomnia in stages. Immediately take a potent sleeping pill is not the best solution. It is necessary to start with non-drug methods of treatment. Psychotherapeutic methods, regulation of the daily regimen and adherence to sleep hygiene recommendations have a good therapeutic effect.
Of the drugs, if the need for them nevertheless arose, preference should be given to mild sedatives. They do not cause addiction, low toxicity and do not disturb the structure of sleep. Potent sleeping pills, taken on their own without the supervision of a doctor, can be harmful. Only a specialist can prescribe such medicines.