Colds are often accompanied by an endless cough that does not stop day or night. Everyone who has ever encountered a similar problem knows how such a state can be painful. In this article, we will talk about how to stop a cough in a child or adult. And we will consider what folk remedies and pharmacological preparations can help in solving this problem. But first, let's find out the question asked just below.
Why does a person cough?
Understanding how to stop a persistent cough will be much easier if you know its causes. When a person coughs, in most cases this means that he is sick, and coughing is a reflex that helps restore airway patency. Thus, a cough can be called a protective reaction of our smart body, aimed at getting rid of sputum accumulated in the lungs, bronchi, trachea, and sometimes from foreign particles or dust that got there.
If adults or children fall ill due to infection with an acute respiratory infection, then a cough accompanying the disease can be a symptom:
- Larynginta is an inflammation of the larynx, which is accompanied by a hoarse voice and a barking, rough cough.
- Tracheitis - inflammation of the trachea.
- Bronchitis is an inflammatory disease of the bronchi. Here, the cough is first dry and then wet with a lot of sputum.
- Pneumonia - pneumonia.
Method 1. Respiratory
- Avoid breathing through your mouth and only breathe air through your nose.
- Between breaths, try to cough for eight seconds.
- Repeat for 4-5 minutes.
This tool can be used if you are in a public place and you urgently need to suppress severe coughing attacks.
Method 2. Rubbing
- Rub the feet thoroughly, applying a warming balm to them.
- Wear warm socks and lie down for at least five minutes, completely relaxed.
- If the cough does not go away, take a little walk without taking off your socks.
For the procedure, use any warming balm that is in the nearest pharmacy.
Method 3: general recommendations
- Drink plenty of water. The liquid will help remove harmful bacteria from the body and will maintain moisture in the mucous membrane of the throat. Dissolve lozenges and cough lozenges. This tool also helps to moisturize the mucosa and eliminates sore throat.
- Drink herbal tea or lemon juice dissolved in warm water. You can add honey to it. Warm liquid will make sputum more fluid, and honey will soothe irritated mucous membranes and relieve coughing fits.
- Chew a slice of ginger and salt. This will help relieve irritation of the throat.
- Gargle with salted water. Salt has a disinfecting effect on the mucous membranes of the throat and oral cavity and facilitates breathing. Try not to swallow salt water.
- Mix a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and a glass of water and drink this mixture. Vinegar has an anti-inflammatory and antiseptic effect on the throat.
- Take inhalation over a special device or just in the shower. Warm steam makes mucus less viscous and improves expectoration.
- Boil two cinnamon sticks in lime juice. Cinnamon liquefies sputum, and lime contains a lot of vitamin C, which will strengthen your immune system and your body will be able to better cough.
- Have more rest and relax so that the body can accumulate energy to fight the common cold.
- Keep your air clean. Make sure that there are no irritants in the air of your apartment: cigarette smoke or other fumes. Dirty air will irritate the lungs and worsen coughing attacks.
- Drink plenty of water. But you need to do this slowly and with long pauses, so as not to cause another coughing fit.
- When you go to bed, you begin to cough. But this does not happen when you are sitting. Therefore, going to bed, put a few pillows under your head.
- To stop coughing, use lozenges or special drops
- Drink ginger tea if you do not want to chew ginger. To do this, add grated ginger root to boiling water and let it boil for five minutes. After that, you can immerse a bag of your favorite tea in the liquid and let it brew for several minutes, and then add sugar to taste.
- Gargle with salt water. But the results will appear only after you carry out the procedure every two hours for three days.
Attention! If the cough does not stop or too much sputum is released during expectoration, be sure to consult a doctor.
Two types of cough
Now a little about the two types of cough - dry and wet. In the second case, the cough reflex performs a very useful cleansing function, expelling sputum containing harmful microorganisms and pus. How to stop coughing in this case? To help the body by taking expectorant and mucolytic drugs, thinning viscous sputum and contributing to its expulsion from the respiratory tract.
It is more difficult to help a person who is suffering from bouts of uncontrolled dry cough. By itself, it cannot bring any relief, tires the patient, leads to severe irritation of the inflamed respiratory organs, and is even capable of causing vomiting or mucosal injury. It is especially important to know how to stop a dry cough at night, because at this time it is able to intensify, and a sick person has absolutely no way to relax. Here we already have to use more serious drugs, often containing the drug codeine, thanks to which the tablets can directly affect the cough center in our brain.
Pharmacies for coughing
How to stop an attack of dry cough, what medicines are sold for this in our pharmacies? Effectively and quickly cough suppresses drugs such as Codeine, Demorphan, Hydrocodone, Codipront, Ethylmorphine Hydrochloride, Morphine Chloride. The listed preparations contain narcotic substances, so in order to purchase them in a pharmacy, you will need a prescription from a doctor.
Softer remedies for fighting dry cough (without narcotic substances) are Glauvent, Sedotussin, Tusuprex, Sinecode, Pakseladin. Important: dry cough medicine can only be used if there is no sputum in the airways!
Good drugs are also Levopront, Libexin, Helicidin. They act on receptors and nerve endings in the bronchi and trachea and also relieve painful dry cough.
And how to stop a persistent cough in the presence of sputum? There are excellent modern drugs that have both anti-inflammatory and bronchodilator and expectorant properties. These include: Lorraine, Stoptussin, Broncholitin, Tussin plus, Protiazin, Hexapnevmin, Butamyrat, Ambrobene, Bromhexine and some other medicines. There are a lot of cough drugs, and they all have their own specifics. And in order not to make a mistake with the choice of pills or medicine, it is best to consult a doctor.
When the disease is just beginning
Now let's find out how to stop a cough that begins. If you get a little cold and start coughing, then you need to immediately start acting! Such a simple remedy as frequent gargling with a warm solution of salt and soda, in some cases works wonders. Great for rinsing and a classic decoction of calendula and sage with chamomile. You can not do it yourself, but buy a Rotokan tincture in a pharmacy (all three components are included) and gargle with it, diluting it in water in the following proportion: 1 tbsp. spoon on a glass of warm water.
In the absence of fever at night, you can steam your feet and then put on wool socks. Pepper plaster is another effective remedy. We stick it on the chest and back. If the symptoms of a cold do not subside in the morning, then it is best to seek medical help.
What will help the baby
How to stop a baby's cough? This should be decided by the children's doctor on the basis of the diagnosis. But there are old folk remedies that can very well be used as supporting measures. These include warming compresses that are placed on the baby's chest. Here are some recipes:
1. Honey tortilla compress. Such a cake can be mixed with honey and flour with the addition of vegetable oil. It should be a normal dense consistency so that it does not spread on the skin. After 4 months of age, it is permissible to add a little mustard powder to the cake mixture - from it the healing effect is enhanced.
2. Compress with camphor oil. To do this, first a diaper rolled up in several layers is placed on the baby’s chest, then camphor oil, another diaper, polyethylene is applied to it and a fastening diaper or gauze is placed on top.
3. Compress from mashed potatoes. The sequence of actions is the same as in the previous recipe.
The most delicious medicine
It is often difficult to persuade children to take potions, decoctions or pills that are unpleasant in taste. If the child is naughty and does not want to be treated, how to stop the attack of dry cough from such a mischief? For this case, in the piggy bank of folk recipes there are surprisingly simple and tasty medicines that every mother can prepare with ease:
1. Take a tablespoon of sugar (incomplete) and hold over the fire until the sugar melts and turns brown. Next, you need to quickly pour the contents of a spoon into a bowl of milk. Burnt sugar will solidify immediately. Received homemade candy well calms dry cough.
2. A medicine from bananas. To prepare it, take a couple of bananas, peel them, knead in a smoothie and add hot sweet water to the mixture. A tasty medicine should be taken only in a warm form.
3. Cough syrup (jam) is able to cough. Add it to tea and give the child a drink.
Traditional medicine offers a ton of options for stopping a cough. An interesting effective way is alkaline inhalation at home. The procedure is as follows: pour mineral water into the pan (if water is passed through a special magnetic funnel, its properties will increase), bring the liquid to a boil, cool to 70 degrees.
Well, after that you need to bend over the saucepan, cover yourself with a towel and breathe useful steam for about 10 minutes. Then it is recommended to drink a hot seagull with raspberries, warm up and sleep. Such inhalations help to get rid of cough with the presence of viscous sputum in the respiratory tract.
Finally, I want to share another recommendation of traditional medicine regarding how to stop a strong cough at night. Prepare onion milk in advance. It is done simply: 2 chopped onions are poured with milk (1 liter), then it all simmers in the oven for 2 hours. It is best to prepare such a medicine in earthenware.
The cooled and filtered milk is taken with a cold 6 times a day for 1 tbsp. spoon. This tool will also provide emergency assistance at night, because it even soothes a very strong cough.
You can quickly get rid of an attack with the help of warm drinks. A plentiful drink softens and moisturizes the mucous membrane, removes mucus from the throat. What will help relieve the attack:
- warm milk with honey
- folk recipes - a decoction of chamomile, mint, marshmallow, rose hips,
- green or black tea
- slightly alkaline mineral waters (without gas).
You can only drink warm drinks. Too hot or cold drinks will not help get rid of cough, but will only aggravate the condition.
To stop a coughing attack in adults, you can use inhalation. Inhalations not only effectively cope with a coughing fit, but also positively affect the course of the disease. When inhaled, the drug acts directly on the mucous membrane of the respiratory tract, which leads to the following effects:
- the mucous membrane is moistened,
- inflammation and swelling are reduced,
- coughing stops
- breathing is restored.
At home, the easiest way to use steam inhalation. It is necessary to heat the solution to 50 ° C, bend over the container by 20-30 cm and cover your head with a towel. It is enough to breathe steam for 5 minutes. You need to breathe through the mouth, not the nose.
As a solution, you can use water with soda, mineral water, decoctions and infusions of plants. You can also breathe over steam of boiled potatoes.
For the preparation of a decoction, medicinal herbs or their mixture are used:
Steam inhalations have a number of contraindications - you can’t breathe steam at elevated body temperature, nosebleeds, a tendency to increase blood pressure, purulent inflammation.
Steam inhalations are especially carefully used to treat a child, so the procedure can cause burns to the skin and mucous membranes.
You can use warm inhalation with essential oils. Eucalyptus, pine, sea buckthorn oil is used.
Warm and steam inhalations help with inflammation of the upper respiratory tract (pharyngitis, tonsillitis), larynx and trachea. With bronchitis, inhalation with a nebulizer is more effective. With the help of a nebulizer, medicinal substances reach the smallest branchings of the bronchi.
Quickly get rid of the attack help lozenges for resorption and sprays with anesthetic effect. At home, you can use mint sweets, they act no worse.
At home you can gargle. To do this, use water with soda or salt, a decoction of herbs with an antiseptic effect (chamomile, calendula).
When an attack occurs, ventilate the room. The lower the temperature, the higher the humidity. Fresh and cool air reduces the intensity of coughing, making breathing easier. It is necessary to ensure that the air is not too cold, as this provokes the appearance of spasms.
The most comfortable ambient temperature is 20 ° C.
With a wet cough, you can do vibration massage, which facilitates the removal of sputum. It is necessary to tap a palm edge on the back in the lungs. The movements should be soft. Massage is carried out for 2–5 minutes.
Why night attacks are dangerous
Coughing at night prevents sleep and recovery. This not only tires, but also leads to the development of unpleasant symptoms:
- asthenia - severe fatigue, weakness,
- cognitive impairment - memory, attention, thinking,
- increased irritability.
The consequences are largely affected by the duration of the attacks. If sleep is disturbed for several days in a row - the risk of complications increases several times.
First aid for an attack is only one of the components of treatment. You can not be limited only by emergency methods, you need to act on the cause.
Coughing does not occur just like that, it is always the body's response to any stimulus. Before starting treatment, you need to see a doctor for a diagnosis.
The main groups of drugs that are used:
The mechanism of action, under which conditions are applied
They are used for tonsillitis, adenoiditis, bronchitis, which are caused by bacteria. Antibiotics from the macrolide group are prescribed for whooping cough.
They are used only as directed by a doctor.
Used for flu
Used with viscous sputum.
Reduce viscosity and promote sputum excretion.
Ambroxol (mixed action)
They are used for difficulty in sputum removal.
Enhance the secretion of bronchial mucus and the activity of ciliated epithelium.
Ambroxol (mixed action)
They are used for painful, obsessive cough.
Inhibit the cough center or peripheral receptors.
Central action: Glaucin, Oxeladine, Butamirate.
Peripheral Action: Libexin, Lidocaine
Used for allergic diseases, for example, with a cough of bronchial asthma.
They have anti-allergenic and decongestant action.
They are used for nasal congestion.
Affect the vessels located in the nasal mucosa. Vasoconstriction leads to a decrease in edema and restoration of nasal breathing.
Used for infection of the tonsils, pharynx.
When you can do without medication
Medications are not really indicated in all cases. This mainly concerns coughing in acute respiratory viral infections (ARVI). With an uncomplicated course, drug treatment may not be used, it is enough to observe bed rest and drink plenty of fluids. If the cause is more serious (bacterial bronchitis or tonsillitis, bronchial asthma, whooping cough), then you can not do without the use of medications.
We offer you to watch a video on the topic of the article.
Education: Rostov State Medical University, specialty "General Medicine".
Found a mistake in the text? Select it and press Ctrl + Enter.
Работа, которая человеку не по душе, гораздо вреднее для его психики, чем отсутствие работы вообще.
American scientists conducted experiments on mice and concluded that watermelon juice prevents the development of atherosclerosis of blood vessels. One group of mice drank plain water, and the second a watermelon juice. As a result, the vessels of the second group were free of cholesterol plaques.
An educated person is less susceptible to brain diseases. Intellectual activity contributes to the formation of additional tissue to compensate for the diseased.
If you smile only twice a day, you can lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes.
In order to say even the shortest and simplest words, we use 72 muscles.
The liver is the heaviest organ in our body. Her average weight is 1.5 kg.
The cough medicine “Terpincode” is one of the leaders in sales, not at all because of its medicinal properties.
Most women are able to get more pleasure from contemplating their beautiful body in the mirror than from sex. So, women, strive for harmony.
It used to be that yawning enriches the body with oxygen. However, this view was disproved. Scientists have proved that yawning, a person cools the brain and improves its performance.
Many drugs were initially marketed as drugs. Heroin, for example, was initially marketed as a cough medicine. And cocaine was recommended by doctors as anesthesia and as a means of increasing endurance.
Scientists from Oxford University conducted a series of studies, during which they came to the conclusion that vegetarianism can be harmful to the human brain, as it leads to a decrease in its mass. Therefore, scientists recommend not to completely exclude fish and meat from their diet.
Millions of bacteria are born, live and die in our gut. They can be seen only at high magnification, but if they came together, they would fit in a regular coffee cup.
Human bones are four times stronger than concrete.
In the UK, there is a law according to which the surgeon can refuse to perform the operation on the patient if he smokes or is overweight. A person should give up bad habits, and then, perhaps, he will not need surgical intervention.
Four slices of dark chocolate contain about two hundred calories. So if you do not want to get better, it is better not to eat more than two lobules a day.
Polyoxidonium refers to immunomodulatory drugs. It acts on certain parts of the immune system, thereby contributing to increased stability of.