µTorrent (also uTorrent, abbreviated as “µT” or “uT”) is a free, closed-source BitTorrent client with ad support. The client is owned by BitTorrent. IncBitTorrent (often abbreviated as BT) is a protocol with which you can quickly and conveniently download files.
- This is the P2P protocol, which means that you download and share data with other people who download the same file.
- Since BitTorrent is a cheap, fast, and efficient way to distribute files among users, it is often used to distribute large files and popular content.
- µTorrent is a BitTorrent client, so it supports its protocol, like a browser that supports HTTP. As with browsers (of which there are many), there are several BitTorrent clients, among which µTorrent is the most popular.
Method 1 How many seeds do you see?
- 1 Check the number of seeds for the file. Sides are users who continue to distribute a file after they have downloaded it. The more seeds, the faster the download speed.
- If possible, download files from the tracker, where the required file has a large number of distributors. If you manage to connect to enough seeds, you can easily increase the download speed.
- 2 Open the µTorrent client.
- 3 Click on any downloadable torrent whose download speed you want to increase.
- 4 Copy all the content in the “Information” category (depending on the client’s torrent, this section may be called “Summary”, “General”, and so on).
As a rule, next to this category is the “Trackers” section.
- 1 Paste the content into an empty area on the Web Sides tab in the Advanced category and click OK.
- It can be seen on the right side of the "Information" section, which is located under the downloadable torrent.
Configure uTorrent for faster downloads
Right-click on the download file and go to the "Bandwidth Allocation" section (Bandwidth allocation) and select "High" (High).
Click the Options button (Options) in the top menu in uTorrent.
click the "Preferences" button (Preferences).
In Preferences, select Bandwidth (Bandwidth) from the left menu
In "Number of Connections" (number of connections) set values for "Global maximum number of connections" (global maximum number of connections) and "The maximum number of connected peers for one torrent" (maximum number of connected peers per torret) above. For example, 1000.
Change the value "Number of upload slots of one torrent" (number of upload slots per torrent) to 1.
That's all. Now uTorrent will download files faster, and you will see that the number of seeds has increased. This will increase the download speed from 200% to 300%.
The reasons for the low download speed
To understand how to increase the download speed in Torrent, you need to understand the causes of poor communication and small speed indicators.
Torrent uses a different technology than conventional bootloaders. You are downloading files not from a server or tracker, but from exactly the same users as you. Therefore, the speed of the throughput channel between you and the user distributing the file will affect the speed.
It is also important to properly configure your client for downloads. If you have a port open, then users can connect to a PC without your knowledge.
15 effective ways to speed up
First you need to deal with your Internet connection. If you have a tariff plan that does not allow you to reach speeds above 1-2 MB / s, then there’s nothing to think about downloading files on torrents. For you, this will turn into a long and painful process. Before starting the download, make sure that you have a good connection with the provider station and an acceptable tariff. Only after that it is worth wondering why you have low speed on the Internet.
Initially, in the client’s settings there is a certain figure responsible for max. file download speed. There is a restriction for your security, so that unscrupulous users do not abuse the resources of your computer.
What you need to do (using uTorrent as an example):
- go to the uTorrent client settings,
- go to the “Speed Settings” tab,
- find the point of maximum download speed,
- set the value to greater than 999999999 (this will be enough).
Third-party programs for downloading take a significant amount of Internet resources of a computer and make downloading files slower. Before you start downloading from a torrent, turn off all programs and browsers that use Internet traffic in order not to wonder why the speed has dropped.
Also, do not download several files from a torrent at once if you urgently need a specific one. Here the scheme "Chasing Two Hares ..." works. That's why you should not download a large number of files at a time.
Before starting work with distribution, be sure to check the number of seeds and lychees.
Sides are those who share the distribution even after they download it themselves.
Lich - the one who downloads distribution at the moment.
Remember that the more siders “sitting” on the distribution, the faster the file download speed. Look for torrents with more seeds and fewer leechers.
To increase the speed performance, you need to change the number of open TCP ports. Standard on Windows is no more than 10. Because of this, the uTorrent client starts to work slowly and cannot connect to a large number of siders. This makes downloading files much slower.
Change the TCP settings allow special utilities. One such is the “Half Open Limit Fix”. It makes changes to the tcpip.sys file (a backup copy is created in the event of a utility failure).
Those who do not want to download third-party programs can change the TCP parameters through the settings:
- Launch the client.
- Go to the Options menu.
- Click the Settings tab, and then Advanced.
- Find the net.max_halfopen parameter and change its values.
Not only file downloaders use your Internet resources. There are many programs that somehow use the Internet connection (even in the background). Track where your traffic "leaks" (using programs or the task manager) and disable unnecessary utilities. This will save some amount of Internet resources.
Check if auto-updates of the operating system and other programs on the computer are disabled. Downloading updates may begin at the most inopportune moment for you and make your Internet work slowly.
P2P networks do not work well with Windows Defender enabled. As you work with the torrent client, you will experience crashes when downloading files. The firewall blocks most of the ports that he doesn't like.
Disabling the protector will increase the small download speed in uTorrnet, but do it at your own peril and risk. No wonder the firewall is called a “defender”.
Install a free firewall and add torrent to the exceptions so that the download port is open and you can use the program.
Very often, antivirus programs block torrent clients and enter them into the registry of “malicious programs”. There is a connection between Windows Defender and antiviruses (since they both work on the basis of P2P protocols). Plus, antivirus programs tend to update periodically (without notifying you about it). Disable antivirus to increase the speed performance of the torrent client.
However, we do not recommend disabling the antivirus for the sake of downloading speed from torrents. The consequences of surfing the internet without protection are unpredictable.
Let's see how to increase the download speed in torrent using the example of uTorrent. To do this, we need to configure the torrent client properly. There are many guides for fine-tuning the program on the Internet, but we will analyze only the main parameters:
- maximum download speed should be 90-95 percent of the average bandwidth of your channel,
- outgoing speed up to 80-90 percent,
- Max. the number of peers is calculated by the formula 1.3 times the rate of return,
- number of slots for one distribution (1+ (dividend speed divided by 6)). The resulting value must be rounded to the nearest integer,
- turn on DHT. This will allow you to connect to a larger number of siders.
There are several more settings in the client which change will increase the speed:
- apply restriction to uTP connections (speed tab),
- Max. recoil speed - 1,
- Max. number of feasts - 100,
- number of connections - 200.
Also, do not forget to set the download priority to high during file upload (right-click on the distribution, and then the menu item "Speed Priority").
If you are an advanced user, then it makes sense to delve into the port settings. The standard ports that are reserved for uTorrent are ports from the range from 6881 to 6889. Internet providers impose restrictions on them due to high traffic consumption.
You can outwit these restrictions and select ports from the range from 49160 to 65534. You can also set the choice of a random port when uTorrent is turned on.
Enable protocol encryption - this will help to avoid restrictions.
Like any other program requiring updates, the uTorrent client needs “updates”. Try to keep track of the release of new patches (if you do not have auto-update). This will allow you to use the latest version of the product and not worry that the outdated program will run slowly and the speed will drop for this reason.
You can update the program by downloading the new version on the official website or directly through your torrent client on the computer.
The creators of BitTorrent even considered this possibility. The system encourages customers who constantly distribute at maximum speed. There is nothing easier than just putting a few hands and leaving to go about your business. This will not take a lot of resources on your Internet, but it will pay off handsomely and increase your rating.
Do not forget to check the settings of your Internet equipment. Make sure that you have a working order:
- router / router / modem and so on,
- network card and the rest of the computer,
- network cable.
Also make sure that the router from which you connect to the Internet is properly configured. In most cases, it is the omission of this point that leads to the fact that the Internet speed has dropped. This leads to a slow download speed from Torrent.