In fact, yarn pompons (buboes) are not only a decorative addition to a knitted hat. With buboes of different shapes, sizes and colors, you can decorate scarves, stoles, socks, knitted slippers, tracks and sweaters. From these fluffy balls you can make even an original plaid or decorate with them cushions. You already realized that this is a wonderful element of decor, and it's time to learn how to do it yourself, because there is nothing complicated about it.
How to make a fluffy pompom from yarn
This manufacturing option is a classic, and for him additional devices are needed.
- From thin cardboard cut two rings 2-2.5 cm wide.
- Prepare threading up to 1 meter.
- Fasten the tip of the thread on the cardboard rings taken together with your finger and wrap the cardboard around it around the circumference. Make the winding dense and multi-layered, as in the photo.
- Cut all the threads along the outer end of the ring.
- Tie an additional thread up to 1 meter long on a knot between two cardboard rings, and then remove them.
- Fluff the ends of the threads with your hands and form a ball.
How to quickly make small yarn pompons on a fork
- Wrap the thread around the cloves of the fork with a thick layer.
- Tie a knot between the second and third cloves with another piece of thread.
- Remove the winding from the fork and cut the loops formed on both sides in half.
- Fluff the ends of the yarn and form a ball.
How to make a beautiful yarn pompom
- From cardboard, make two blanks in the shape of a horseshoe.
- Use white and yellow yarn, as well as the winding pattern in the photo.
- Cut the threads at the end of the winding and tie a knot with an additional thread on the lower fold of the winding.
- Now you can remove the cardboard blanks and fluff the threads.
Master Class Video
We offer you a selection of videos with workshops that will show you how to quickly make pom-poms from yarn yourself.
- In this video tutorial, you will learn how to make a large and voluminous yarn pompom.
- If you don’t know how to make a beautiful pompom from yarn on a hat, then watch this short video.
- A video on how to make yarn buboes in five different ways.
- In this video tutorial, you'll learn another way to create a volume bubo.
- A video tutorial on how to quickly make a bubo with one hand.
- Video on how to make a bubo using a ready-made plastic template in the shape of a fork.
- If you have already learned how to make buboes in different ways, then we offer you a master class on making a plaid from them.
- And this video shows an example of weaving a rug from multi-colored buboes, which can decorate a children's bedroom, a bathroom, and a living room.
- This master class will not leave anyone indifferent, because with it you will learn how to make bright and original buboes in the form of fruits and berries.
- In this video you will learn how to form a kubo-shaped bubo that small children will appreciate.
If you are fond of knitting, then we offer you two more video lessons on knitting — knitted yarn products — that will be useful to you:
- In this video you will learn a knitting pattern — knit yarn bags.
We want to share with you another useful information that will tell you about yarn from alpaca wool. By the way, pompons from it turn out to be especially beautiful and fluffy.
The main ways to make a pompom from threads
Pompoms are used as decor and are distinguished by a wide scope. They decorate many items of clothing, used in the production or independent sewing of soft toys. Many add buboes to do-it-yourself furniture or household items.
It can be a plaid, a cloak for upholstered furniture, decorative napkins or a small rug. This product found its main use in decorating hats. These hats are popular with both adults and young children.
For the manufacture of the right fluffy balls, many options are suitable. Each of them is distinguished by materials for manufacturing, method of creation and technique.
The main ways:
- We use hands. This option is suitable for quick manufacture of jewelry. The pompom is created by special winding yarn on the fingers. The main difference is the lack of any special tools and the creation of a pompom in minutes.
- Using cardboard blanks helps in creating the perfect thread pompom. The ready-made accessory is particularly splendid and voluminous.
- The use of the back of a regular chair is useful in the manufacture of a large number of balls. The total size and volume can be adjusted in the process of needlework.
- The table fork is suitable for creating small pompoms. This method is more complicated than the above.
When using cardboard as a blank, in addition to the round template, a square is also useful. The chair can be used in a wider spectrum, since the option of using the back in the work is the most common and simple in execution technique.
An important stage in the work is preparation. An accurate approach and timely preparation of all necessary components for work will help to carry out the needlework process in a short time and in a pleasant environment. The final list of materials depends on the chosen option for creating fluffy balls from threads.
Tools and materials for the manufacture of thread pompons
- skein of yarn (you can use several shades),
- long needle
- table fork.
The choice of shade for the manufacture depends on the headgear itself. When preparing an accessory for a hat that has several colors, you can make a combined version of a pompom. To do this, the tones that are present in the product itself are suitable. Such a pompom will be more bright and original.
When working, it is not necessary to use yarn. Any thread that has high strength and durability will do. Special attention should be paid to the density of the threads themselves. Medium density material will be optimally suited for the job. From such a component, both small and large bulk products can be made. High-density threads (such as mohair or wool) are suitable for creating small accessories. To cope with the manufacture of a large bubo from such textures is quite difficult.
Addition: when choosing scissors, you can focus on manicure, which differ in miniature size. To get the most even cuts, the scissors should be sharp.
Stages of work step by step:
For a more detailed study, it is recommended to consider and try each method. Given all the actions and their competent conduct, it is easy to choose the right one.
Tip: when using several color shades, the threads can be distributed over the entire surface or concentrated in one place. This will help to get a simple but bright ornament.
Option 1:The most lightweight and quickest creation of a pompom for a hat is the method of winding the thread around the fingers. For small balls, you can use 2 fingers, for larger ones - 3 or more.
First of all, we start winding yarn on our fingers (without touching the big one). Volume and dimensions completely depend on the number of layers to be applied. To form a large and magnificent pompom, it is recommended to wrap a large number of layers. When forming the required volume, the bundle of threads is pulled by a free thread in the center. The knot must be tightened carefully so that the ball does not lose shape and does not fall apart. Carefully remove the skein of fingers. At this stage, the resulting design resembles a bow. The sides of the figure are carefully straightened, observing accuracy. And we cut the loops to get single strings. In conclusion, we trim the long threads, forming a semicircular pompom for the hat.
Reference: in the absence of initial skills, additional assistance may be required, since it is quite difficult to bandage the parties and remove the bow from the fingers.
Option 2: Cardboard comes in handy in two variations: circle and square. When choosing the first method, we cut out of thick cardboard two round bases of the same size. In the center we draw a small circle, cut it out. Make a loop using a piece of thread. Impose it around a small circle. We have a second base on top.
Important: strictly follow the full correspondence of the faces of the circles.
Thread the thread into a long needle. The resulting loop wrap the basics of cardboard. To create a three-dimensional product, we wrap several layers. When wrapping, carefully hold the patterns with your hand. This will help to avoid the possibility of slipping the loop located inside the cardboard circles. At the end, the sides of the threads, which are located at the junction of the warp, are carefully cut. We bind the threads into a tight knot in the middle. This will prevent the pompom from opening. After the actions taken, the product is ready, cardboard templates can be removed.
Option 3:It implies the use of square blanks. To do this, we cut out a square template from thick cardboard. Make a small incision on one side in the middle. Gently stretch the thread. Care must be taken to ensure that the tip of the thread hangs, and the length is sufficient to form a nodule. It is necessary for fixation. We begin to wind the thread, forming the necessary volume and size. In the center we pull the thread, tightly bandage. We cut off the remains. Gently cut the sides, remove the square blank from the cardboard. Straighten the threads, forming the desired ball. Too long protrusions are cut with scissors in accordance with the total length.
Reference: the size of the pompom also depends on the size of the workpiece itself. Using a large square will produce the corresponding product.
Option 4: In this case, the back of the chair will be required. This method is suitable if you need to create a large number of accessories. In the process, several small pompoms are made at once, which in conclusion are separated from each other. On one edge of the back we have the base of the thread. We stretch the first circle. We attach the base with a tight knot to a long thread that goes into a ball. We start wrapping the layers. Density and volume depend on personal preference. At the end we bind the thread. Carefully remove the resulting filament base from the back of the chair. We calculate the same distance between the dressings. For greater convenience, it is recommended to start calculations from the center, moving in turn in both directions. After the calculation, we knit the base with short pieces of yarn. It is necessary to cut in the gaps that are between the nodules. Thus, a large number of lush accessories are obtained.
Tip: to form more glomeruli, the threads can be wrapped around the legs of the chair.
Option 5: The usual table fork that is available in every home can help create small but chubby pompons. The manufacturing process is similar to finger manufacturing. We wind the yarn on the cutlery, capturing all the teeth. After laying the necessary layers in the center, drag the thread. We tie a tight knot to avoid the product blooming. Carefully remove the bow from the fork. Cut the edges of the bow with scissors. Carefully fluff the resulting pompom.
Do-it-yourself pom-poms for hats
Hats with pompons are often decorated with an additional decorative element - tassels. You can also make such yourself. The process does not have a high level of complexity, but in many ways even easier.
We form a bunch of strings. Special attention should be paid to its length, which should be equal to two bombs. In the center we knit a small piece of thread. We retreat from one of the selected edges about a centimeter. On the resulting indicator, we make several turns of thread. We form a tight knot, and hide the ends of the thread inside the bundle. Rough edges are carefully trimmed to form the same length. Hats brushes are ready.
A headpiece with a pompom is always distinguished by a brighter appearance and originality. Such products always remain at the peak of popularity and are in great demand. The difference of this accessory is that it is easy to make it yourself. A few simple ways will help to craft a voluminous and fluffy pompom manually.