Read how to control Android through a computer with Windows installed. A modern user in his arsenal often has a whole bunch of electronics, starting with a personal computer, ending with today's smart watches. And keeping track of all the gadgets can be very difficult! We are sure that almost every owner of Android devices at least once thought about remotely controlling a tablet or smartphone from their computer.
Situations are different: they forgot a smartphone at work, and at home they needed to see someone’s number, they lost it, just sit at your desk, and the gadget is in another room. Users who have already tested the remote control capabilities of Android know how to find a lost smartphone from a computer, free up memory, and analyze its state. Today we will tell you all about this useful option.
Android via computer - Google as a universal tool for remote control
Many users, looking for ways to control their smartphone or tablet from a distance, immediately consider third-party options, forgetting that the company developing Android also offers tools for these purposes. And in this case you don’t have to download, buy and install anything on your personal computer. True, the functions of the tool from Google are reduced to the most necessary - viewing the status of the device, displaying it on the map, blocking. Despite the small number of features, remote control from Google will help you find a lost or stolen smartphone.
So what we need:
- Firstly, a single Google account to which a smartphone should be connected. He will be involved for its remote control.
- Secondly, the device from which we will carry out remote control of Andro>
We recommend that if the described functions are not active on your smartphone, use them.
Remote control, as already noted, can be done directly from the browser (https://myaccount.google.com) or a special application available on Google Play. Both there and there you need to log in to your Google account, indicating the data used on the smartphone or tablet, which we will manage. After that, you will be offered a list of devices that are connected to this account, indicating the date of the last activity. Further, we have the following options:
- Make a call. Not sure where the smartphone went? The “Call” function activates a loud sound signal on it (even if the sound is muted), which will be heard for 5 minutes.
- To find. With this option, you can remotely find out where your device is located. The approximate location will be displayed on the map. To use this function on a smartphone or tabletnecessarilygeolocation must be enabled.
- Sign out of accountGoogle. The option disconnects the device from the account so that attackers could not gain access to it.
- Lock the phone. A very useful feature that can help recover a lost or stolen smartphone. Right in the browser, you can set a password on the device, set the message text so that the person who finds the phone will read it, and also indicate the number by which you can be contacted.
- Delete all data from the device. Function for drastic measures. If you are sure that the phone was stolen or lost somewhere, then you can completely clear its memory (some files from the memory card may not be deleted).
It seems that there are few possibilities in this method, and for most users they will be quite full. In addition, remote control with a Google account is free, very easy to implement and has all the necessary options.
Programs for remote control of Android from a computer
Say what you like, but third-party software is ready to provide more functionality than a service from Google. If thanks to him we could only perform actions that would protect the device from intruders, then special programs allow you to get direct access to certain functions, and often completely to the Android device’s interface.
There are a lot of programs for remote control of Android from a PC, most of them are free, some require a fee for additional options. We have selected the most popular, functional and convenient options.
Perhaps it’s worth starting with this tool, which is used by millions of users around the world. Its main feature is cross-platform. That is, you can use it to not only control your Android phone from your computer, but vice versa, or even access another computer on Windows, Linux, or Mac OS. In addition, it is designed as simple as possible so that each user can understand the interface and management.
- Install TeamViewer on a personal computer (https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows/), using the link you can download the official and most current version for free.
- Install the official TeamViewer QuickSupport application on Android from the Google Play store (namely QuickSupport, which is designed specifically for remote control of Android from a PC).
After the necessary software is installed, you can proceed to connecting devices.
- run the program on a PC and an Android device,
- wait until TeamViewer QuickSupport is activated on your smartphone and offers you an ID (nine-digit number),
- the received ID is indicated in the partner ID window in the running program on the computer,
- Below we choose how we will use the program: “Remote Control” or “File Transfer”,
- click the "Connect to Partner" button,
- we are waiting for the reaction of the Android device, on which a window should appear asking for permission to connect to the computer, click "Allow",
- The interface of your Android device will appear on the computer screen, which you can now control.
Now we can control the smartphone or tablet using the mouse, moving desktops, opening folders, go to settings and so on. The program also has separate areas in which the percentage of battery power and even the load of RAM are displayed. In addition, you can remotely delete applications from Android, transfer files between devices and write chat messages, which will be very useful if you help a friend with some settings.
Remote control is not available on some devices - only the screen sharing function is supported. In this case, you need to download TeamViewer QuickSupport specifically for your device brand.
TeamViewer is deservedly one of the best tools for remote control of a wide variety of devices. It offers full control of the interface with the ability to run applications, and also allows real-time monitoring of the status of the device. Constantly receives updates in which defects of previous versions are corrected. In addition to this, flexible settings can be praised.
This is already a tool exclusively for comfortable control of Android devices from a distance. It differs from TeamViewer in that it does not have the function of direct control of the interface, that is, it will not work to run the application freely. However, you can work with all the popular features. In addition, AirDroid is represented by a web interface, which eliminates the need to install programs on a personal computer. There are two ways to connect devices:
- Through different networks. In this case, the PC and smartphone can be located at a very great distance from each other, registration in the service will be required. A noticeable disadvantage is the slow connection speed.
- Through one network. Devices can be connected in one network, which will provide high speed access. In addition, registration is optional, you can simply download the AirDroid client on Android, with which you can connect.
So, instructions for establishing a connection:
- Download the AirDroid app from Google Play on Android,
- on your computer, open the AirDroid website (https://www.airdroid.com/en/) and click "Start",
- in the application on Android, use the function of scanning QR codes (icon in the upper right corner),
- Click "Login" to start using the service.
After that, you will have access to a very nice web interface on your computer with which you can remotely control your device. What can be done here:
- find out the amount of device memory
- send a file or application,
- write SMS / MMS or call,
- view the list of installed applications, and with the size and date of download, you can also erase them remotely,
- access messages, contacts, files, images, call logs,
- remotely find a phone,
- take a photo, and the smartphone screen will be inactive.
There are really many opportunities, and using them is very simple. To expand the list of functions, you can register in the service (it is possible to use a Google account). And all this is available absolutely free.
A tool with a similar name, but with a slightly different implementation. AirMore, like AirDroid, is presented with a web interface, which eliminates the need to install software on a PC. The tool allows you to display the desktop of a smartphone on the screen of a personal computer, take screenshots. AirMore is free, highly rated by users, and also has simple and intuitive settings.
What is required:
- Download the AirMore application from Google Play on Android,
- using a computer to open the official website of the service (https://airmore.com).
Instructions for establishing communication and use are elementary:
- on the official website, click the “Launch AirMore Web to Connect” button,
- there are two connection options to choose from: using a QR code or using Wi-Fi,
- by launching the AirMore app on Android, select “Scanner”,
- scan the QR code from the computer screen and allow the application to access various functions on the phone.
After that, all the information about your device will appear in the web interface: name, OS version, storage capacity, battery level and more. In addition, you can transfer files between devices, a set of tools is available that allows you to take screenshots and record video from the screen, it is possible to display a list of contacts and messages.
AirMore performed well, but it lacks the Russian language service, which its main competitor, AirDroid, has. However, developers are constantly updating and improving their product, making it more convenient.
A powerful tool that is suitable not only for remote control of Android through a computer, but also for synchronizing accounts, message contacts, and will also be an excellent tool for quickly creating backups. There is no possibility of direct access to the screen of a smartphone or tablet, but with other functions there is a complete order, in addition there is support for the Russian language.
What we need:
- MyPhoneExplorer program itself, which must be installed on a computer and an Android device,
- choose a connection method, there are three options to choose from: wired via a USB cable or wireless via Wi-Fi / Bluetooth.
The program for downloading is available absolutely free of charge, in addition, it does not have built-in advertising, which the developer refused, the income is received from donations of satisfied users.
Connection takes place in a few simple steps:
- connect both devices to the same Wi-Fi or Bluetooth network (or via wire),
- run the program MyPhoneExplorer on the PC and Android device,
- follow the prompts of the assistant.
At the first connection, synchronization of contacts, SMS, applications and accounts occurs so that you can work with them on a personal computer. Also in the application, a separate tab displays information about the state of the phone: charge level, free memory, RAM load, temperature, and so on.
MyPhoneExplorer is a curious tool that will appeal to users who like to plan their calendar while sitting at a PC, parse a bunch of SMS messages and download a couple of new games to their phone. The program is somewhat different from the same TeamViewer, as it does not give full access to the smartphone interface. However, it is quite suitable for remote control.
And finally, another good tool for remote control of Android through a computer, which is less common than its counterparts, but this does not negate its extensive capabilities. MobileGo is free, it has synchronization options, a video converter and a good manager in the arsenal, with which you can even remotely clear the smartphone’s memory.
To work, you need to download the official MobileGo tool on Android and computer. Connection can be made using a wire or a Wi-Fi network. In the first case, just connect the two devices with a cable. The program will make a backup copy at each connection and synchronize the main settings. To connect via Wi-Fi, you need to use the QR code scanner, which is available in the Android application.
After connecting you can:
- View smartphone information
- View the contact list, call log, SMS messages and installed applications,
- transfer files
- delete photos, videos, applications and more.
One of the disadvantages of MobileGo is the lack of the Russian language, although everything is pretty clear even without it. The program is not inferior in functionality to most analogues, so we can only recommend it for review.
Well, we told you about the most popular ways to get remote access from a computer to an Android device. I am glad that technology does not stand still, giving us such convenient tools that greatly simplify the interaction with a bunch of gadgets. Remote control provides a bunch of new features, starting with the simplest ones like tracking the status of a smartphone on a personal computer screen, ending with such useful ones as device lock and direct access to the interface. Do you use similar programs?
Cable and port check
If there are no creases, bites, breaks or other mechanical damage on the wire, check the USB port. Try connecting to another connector or inserting another device into the same port - for example, a mouse.
If Windows XP is installed on the computer, then urgently look for the opportunity to switch at least to the "seven". But for starters, you can simply install MTP protocolso that XP learns to work with Android. The trick is that when the first version of Android appeared, Microsoft released Windows 7. Therefore, there is no MTP protocol in XP, and you have to install it separately. You can download MTP on the Microsoft website.
If the computer determines any other device, and the phone categorically does not want to see, then it's time to move the focus to Android settings and connection features. Yes, there is a possibility of mechanical damage to the microUSB connector on the phone, but I have not encountered such yet. If you have something broken, you will most likely notice it.
Most often, the inability to establish a connection between the computer and the phone is associated with software errors. If none of the methods listed below helps to solve the problem, contact the service center - it seems that the smartphone really needs repair.
Setting up Andro> I came across two situations. The first phone required not only obtaining developer rights and enabling debugging via USB, but also installing phone drivers on the computer. In the settings of the second smartphone, I generally did not find the parameters responsible for connecting via USB. They are not needed: the phone is perfectly detected by the computer, after which it suggests choosing the connection mode.
So, if you connected a smartphone, but nothing happened:
- Open Android settings.
- Go to the section "About the phone" (may be called "About the device").
- Find build number (models) and click on this item until a notification appears that you will soon become a developer. Usually npress 7-10 times.
After you become a developer, a new section will appear in the Android settings - Developer Options. Inside it you will find a switch USB debuggingto be put into position On.
Now try connecting the phone to the computer again. When connecting, the mode selection window should appear on the smartphone screen. By default, older versions of Android have “Charging Only”. If the window does not appear, slide it out of the notification curtain.
To transfer files, you must select the media device (MTP) or drive mode. Among the options there will also be PTP mode, but it is only suitable for photographs that can just as easily be transferred to MTP.
After choosing the appropriate mode in the “Computer” on Windows, a media device will appear, with the contents of which you can work. Depending on the features of the phone models and Android versions, the internal memory and the SD card can be displayed together or as separate drives. But it does not matter, the main thing is that they are generally displayed.
In the Android settings, there are no other parameters responsible for connecting via USB, except for debugging. However, there are some features. Например, на смартфонах Nexus нужно разблокировать экран, защищенный паролем или графическим ключом, чтобы компьютер получил доступ к содержимому памяти.
Кроме того, подключение через USB нельзя установить, если на Android включен режим модема. Чтобы проверить его состояние и при необходимости отключить:
- Open Settings.
- In section «Сеть и соединения» click «Дополнительные настройки» or «Еще».
- Зайдите в режим модема и отключите точку доступа WLAN. Если она отключена, ничего больше делать не нужно.
Some manufacturers offer users special programs for controlling smartphones on a computer, but you can establish a simple USB connection without this software. Utilities from manufacturers are not needed for the banal transfer of photos, but to perform more complex tasks: updating phone software via a computer, device firmware, resetting settings.
The reason that the computer does not see Android via USB may be incorrectly installed or just a custom curve firmware. In addition, resetting sometimes helps, but before doing it, do not forget to backup the data, as it will be deleted. The problem may disappear even after the usual restart of the smartphone - keep this in mind.
- Open Control Panel.
- Turn on display mode Large Icons.
- Go to the section "Power".
- Find the scheme you are using and go on to configure it.
- Choose to change advanced options.
- Expand USB parameters and set in points “On Battery” and “On Line” value "Prohibited".
- Click “OK” to save the configuration.
I did not measure how much the ban on automatic port shutdown affects the battery life, but there is no noticeable difference. But the problems with connecting external devices like Android phones are eliminated.
- Connect the phone to the computer.
- Open device Manager. On Windows 10, the corresponding item is in the context menu, called by right-clicking on the "Start". In earlier versions of Windows Manager, can be found in Control panels in view mode "Badges".
- Check all USB controllers. If there is an exclamation mark next to one of them, this indicates that there are problems with the software.
To make sure that the phone is marked in the Manager, disconnect the USB cable. If the problem controller disappears, then you have found the source of the problem. A smartphone without drivers may also appear in other sections: for example, among other or portable devices.
So, you have discovered that something strange is happening with the phone drivers. What to do next?
- Connect your phone so that it appears in Device manager.
- Select it and delete.
- Update the hardware configuration so that the computer re-detects the phone and starts installing the drivers.
You can not remove the device, but only update the driver. Right click on the phone, select the tab "Driver" and press "Refresh". Another option is to first remove the driver, and then reinstall it without touching the device itself.
In the search box, select auto discovery. If you downloaded the phone driver from the official site, you can click “Search on this computer” and specify the path to the downloaded software file.
If you have a Chinese smartphone, then there may be another problem with it - the inability to find a suitable driver on the Internet. Often they are posted on forums such as w3bsit3-dns.com, but if there is nothing, try installing a universal driver. It is called Universal Adb Driver and is designed to ensure the correct operation of Android Debug Bridge and utilities for synchronizing PCs with Android devices. Versatility is not always good, but it is likely that in the case of a Chinese phone, you can easily access the contents of the memory.
Troubleshooting error code 19
- Click on the keyboard Win + r.
- Run "Regedit".
- Expand the branch HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlSet / Control / Class /
- Find the parameter Upfilters, highlight and delete.
After deleting the parameter, restart the computer and try connecting the phone again.
Alternative file transfer methods
- Sync data through Google Drive. For normal operation Andro>
You can come up with other options for connecting an Android smartphone to a computer. For example, create an FTP server on your phone or set up a remote connection through TeamViewer. So USB is not the only way out. But if a wired connection is not established, it’s worthwhile to look at the reason, and eliminate it if possible.