Tuesday, February 10, 2015
Filo dough (filo or phila) can be called one of the most famous types of dough in the Mediterranean cuisine. This is a type of exhaust dough that is no thicker than a sheet of paper. The uniqueness of dishes that are created on the basis of this subtle test is their airiness and fragility. Cakes and pies, rolls and rolls, baklava, strudel, baskets and even Napoleon cake - all this can be prepared from filo dough!
By the way, experts say that at home preparing a real filo dough is unrealistic. We will not argue with them, but we will take and try! I can say that this is my first experience in preparing a filo dough and is very successful. So you will certainly succeed in the best way.
Before proceeding with the direct preparation of this exhaust test, be sure to read everything that I will write now. First of all, you must take care of the availability of high-quality parchment paper, otherwise the dough may stick to it. In addition, it must first be cut into identical sheets, since the dough is rolled and stretched quite quickly. And we also need a clean, ironed cloth to not roll out the dough. Like everything else along the way.
And now some lyrics. Ready filo dough is the basis for the preparation of many national dishes, both sweet and savory fillings. It perfectly tolerates freezing: this exhaust dough is rolled into parchment roll, wrapped in cling film or bag and sent to the freezer, where it can be stored for up to three months.
It is important to remember that after freezing the dough, the filo becomes very fragile (frozen) and, if you hurry, you can break it. Therefore, defrost for a long time. Also, in accordance with the recipe, filo dough sheets are prepared in a certain way: they are cut into pieces with a sharp knife or scissors of a certain shape and size.
Yes, I almost forgot! For this excellent recipe, many thanks to Helen Temple!
Filo dough - what it is and what it is eaten with
The Greeks have many cooking features, and one of them is the Filo Greek pastry. In his homeland it is called φύλλο, which in Latin transcription is written as Filo or Phyllo. Sometimes in Cyrillic they use spelling with two l: Phillo. Under these names, this Greek product is known throughout the world.
So what is Filo's dough and what is it used for? The answers are simple. Filo (Fillo) is a fresh dough that is rolled out with the thinnest layers with a width of less than 1 mm. It is a popular culinary ingredient in the cuisine of the Balkan countries, but it is called differently in each region. In Turkey they call him "Yufka", in Egypt "Gollash", In Serbia and Montenegro"Kore».
They use Filo's dough for the preparation of flour products: pies, pies, "envelopes", rolls and cakes. Moreover, the dish does not have to be sweet: seafood, as well as vegetable and meat fillings are added to the dough rolls, thereby obtaining tasty snacks. So, if you saw flour flaky dishes in the tavern’s menu, Filo’s dough is probably present in its composition.
Dishes from Philla acquire a ruddy color, mouth-watering crunch and a unique taste. The Filo dough itself is low in calories. it is fresh and contains a minimal amount of fat. But due to the fact that each layer is soaked in olive oil or sunflower oil, the calories of the Filo test increase to 441 units per 100 grams of product. In general, for a standard serving of food, this is relatively small.
You can create a Mediterranean culinary masterpiece both from a purchased Fillo, and from a cooked one yourself. We will tell you in detail about how to prepare Filo dough at home a little later. As for the finished layers, then buy Filo dough in large supermarkets: the price for 500 grams ranges from 100-150 rubles. The product is sold more often frozen, so before use it is necessary to bring it to full thawing, so that the layers become elastic again.
The composition of the Filo test
So, we learned what the Filo dough is, now we will consider how to cook it. But before we give a detailed recipe for the Filo test for cooking at home, we will briefly describe its composition. So that those who want to purchase the finished product in the store, focusing on the above data, choose quality products.
So, Fillo is a yeast-free dough, which includes:
It is also allowed to use chicken, vegetable oil and starch in cooking.
These ingredients are included in the Filo dough. As you can see, the composition of Fillo is very simple, but at the same time saturated with vitamins. There are vitamins A, E, PP, D and several B vitamins at once. This complex of nutrients helps to improve the digestive tract, normalize peristalsis and increase the tone of the body. Of course, all this is true provided there are no harmful concentrates and additives in the product E. Therefore, when purchasing dough in a store, carefully read the composition on the label.
And to be sure of the 100% usefulness of the dish, it is better to cook it yourself. The recipe for making Filo dough at home is not that complicated. Especially if you know the little tricks and nuances of cooking. So, we will reveal all the secrets.
How to make Filo dough yourself - a step by step recipe
Pastry from the Filo dough looks attractive, crunches appetizingly and leaves a pleasant aftertaste. Such a delicacy is tempting to try, even if you know about Greece only by hearsay and beautiful pictures on the Internet. Well, traveling abroad is not accessible to everyone, but acquaintance with world culinary is quite possible at home. For example, make a do-it-yourself pie from Fillo pastry or a crispy roll with vegetable filling.
Such sweets are made easy and simple, the main thing is to know how to properly prepare Filo dough at home. We will talk about this wisdom in detail.
Above, we have already outlined the classic composition of the Filo dough with a list of the main components, tips on where to buy Filo dough and what to look for. And they also mentioned that there are different variations of the kneading of Greek dough. Therefore, here we move a little away from classics designed for industrial production, and present the most optimal recipe for making Filo dough at home.
So, first of all, you should stock up on the following ingredients:
- Wheat flour - 3 tbsp.,
- Boiled water - 1 tbsp.,
- Vegetable oil - 2 tbsp. l.,
- Vinegar 9% - 1 tsp,
- Egg yolks - 3 pcs.,
- Salt - 0.5 tsp
This set of products is designed for 12 servings, and the total cooking time will take 2, 5 hours. As you can see, the composition is nothing supernatural - everything can be found in the store closest to the house. Well, if everything is already ready, then let's start making Filo dough!
Since the Greek dough is extremely thin (the layer is less than 1 mm), it is very important to knead the correct concentration so that subsequently the sheets do not tear, bubble or burst. For the first time, this is always difficult, so for beginners we offer a step-by-step recipe for filo dough. Over time, you will fill your hand, and jewelry work with the thinnest sheets will become commonplace.
So, we will analyze in stages how to cook the Greek dough Filo.
- Pour warm boiled water into a bowl and add salt to it. Mix thoroughly so that the salt dissolves to the last grain. The homogeneity of the mass is very important, because any lump can subsequently tear the sheet.
- Add vinegar and egg yolks to salt water. Mix again until smooth.
- Take a separate deep bowl and sift the flour.
- In the prepared flour, make a small depression and slowly pour in the prepared mixture of water, vinegar and egg yolks. Constantly stir the dough with a spoon.
- Add vegetable oil to the prepared batch and continue to mix. When the dough hardens so much that the spoon will turn with difficulty, we proceed to kneading with our hands.
- Finally, we get a soft dough that needs to be beaten for 2-3 minutes, i.e. about 50-60 times. Thanks to this procedure, Fillo gains density and elasticity.
- We wrap the well-beaten dough in a plastic wrap or bag, and leave it to cool at room temperature for 60 minutes.
During this time, it is necessary to prepare a waffle or linen towel, parchment paper and a rope. The towel should be slightly moistened and crushed with flour so that the dough does not stick to the surface.
- Now the moment has come for subtle rolling. We iron the dough on the prepared fabric, and cut into small pieces. Take one part and start rolling out (while we work with 1 slice, cover the rest with a film or bag so that the dough does not air).
- Having received a thin layer, we take it in our hands and begin to gently stretch it by hand until the layer begins to shine through. If the batch was correct, the dough will be tender and pliable, and the sheet will easily stretch.
- Trim the edges and lay out the layer on parchment. To prevent the dough from drying out, cover it with a damp towel.
- Similarly, we roll out all the remaining pieces. Lay the finished leaves with parchment and collect in a pile. Do not forget to cover it with a damp towel.
- At the end of the process, we roll the entire stack into a roll. If you need to cook after 2-3 hours, then again cover with a towel. If the dough is cooked for the future, then directly convolve it and freeze it. The product is ready!
By the way, we note that if you want to make lean Filo dough, then you can reduce calories by removing eggs from the recipe. Otherwise, the cooking technology is the same.
With prepared Fillo, you can make any dough products: pies, puff pastries, tartlets, envelopes and original snacks. Here are a couple of recipes for delicious dishes right now!
What can be prepared from the Filo dough - a few recipes
So, we are great fellows and managed to make real Greek pastry at home. Now let's think about what to cook from Filo dough at home. We offer you to try a couple of main dishes and some snacks.
Finished Greek pastry Filo is great for making Austrian strudel. The product is crispy, mouth-watering and literally melting in your mouth. And the combination of apple juice with creamy sugar flavor of the dough leaves a delicate aftertaste. Consider the recipe!
|Filo pastry strudel|
Servings - 8, cooking time - 1, 5 hours
|Phillo||The apples||Raisins*||Biscuits||Butter||Powdered sugar|
|5-6 sheets||6 pcs., Medium-sized, sweet and sour||150-200 gr.||100 gr., With ordinary taste||1 pack||1 tbsp. l|
|*It is better to pre-soak raisins in cold water and leave to settle overnight.|
|1. Apples should be washed, peeled and core cut. Then chop thin slices. Put in a deep plate.|
2. Using a blender, grind cookies to a fine crumb.
3. Add the infused raisins and chopped cookies to the apples. Mix everything. If the apples are too sweet, you can drip a little lemon juice.
4. On a table or cloth sprinkled with flour, put a sheet of dough and grease it with melted butter. Take the next layer of Filo and cover it with the previous one, while shifting the second layer 2-3 cm below the first, grease with oil. Repeat with all sheets, not forgetting to lubricate them.
5. Put the filling on the dough, wrap in a roll and grease again. Send to the oven, heated to 190 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
Crispy home-made fillo dough strudel ready! It remains to sprinkle it with icing sugar and serve.
You can also make a quick and tasty pie from Filo with chicken and rice. It takes only 1 hour to prepare this simple dish. Here is the prescription.
|How to cook chicken filo pastry|
|8 sheets||600 gr||200 gr.||Feta - 100 gr.|
Hard cheese - 100 gr.
Parmesan - 50 gr.
|Chicken broth - 150 ml.|
Eggs - 2 pcs.
|Parsley - 1 tbsp.|
Chives - 1 tablespoon
Sweet paprika - 1 tbsp.
Salt, pepper to taste.
|1. Boil and chop the chicken, leave the broth. Blanch rice. Mash feta with a fork, finely grate hard cheese. Put all the ingredients in a deep plate, add spices, mix thoroughly.|
2. Place baking paper on a baking sheet. Lay out 2 sheets of dough. cross to cross, smearing each layer with oil.
3. Put the filling in the center of the dough. Grate Parmesan and sprinkle liberally with the edges of the dough. Twist the edges with a roller, wrapping cheese in them (tighten to the very filling) You get an open cake with tucked edges.
4. Gently fill the filling with broth and cream. The proportions should be carefully observed so that the filling does not turn out to be too liquid.
5. Beat 2 eggs in a bowl and beat with a fork. Pour the filling with egg mixture and put the cake in the oven for 30 minutes (180 degrees). Bake until golden brown.
The dish is ready!
As you can see, with fresh Filo you get very tasty sweet and unsweetened pastries. Let's see how things are with snacks.
Stuffings for the Filo test
With Greek dough, not only pies and pastries are prepared, but also other products. For example, delicious and original snacks, which, thanks to the beautiful design, are perfect for the festive table.
The basis for the preparation of snacks is any form made from Fillo. It can be rolls, "roses", "bird" nests ", etc. Depending on the purpose, Filo sheets are curled, cut into layers or thin straws. Thus, in the appetizers, Greek dough is used not only for taste, but also for a beautiful serving of food.
As for the filling, it also depends on the hostess’s imagination. On the net you can find many recipes for appetizers from Filo pastry with cottage cheese, cheese, vegetables, seafood, poultry, etc. There are even whole salad snacks with Fillo. Here is one of the most popular recipes.
|Cottage cheese nests-cheesecakes from dough Fillo|
|Dough||Butter||Chees Feta||Cottage cheese||Egg|
|500 gr.||1 pack||200 gr.||200 gr.||1 PC.|
|We will also need a narrow wooden stick: approximately 40 cm in length and 0.5 - 1 cm in diameter.|
|1. Knead Feta in a deep bowl, add the cottage cheese to it and fill it with an egg. Mix until smooth.|
2. Take a sheet of dough, spread the smaller side to ourselves. Lubricate with oil.
3. Roll the sheet onto the stick, leaving a layer 2-3 cm wide at the end.
4. We collect the dough rolled onto a stick with our hands in an accordion. Press a little to keep the structure in shape. We remove the stick.
5. Now we connect the ends of our "tube". In the middle, where there was no knurled layer, we make neat folds and slightly crumple so that there are no holes.
6. Put the prepared filling in the center of the resulting “nest”. Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients. Cooked cheesecakes are sent to a 180 ° warmed up oven and baked for 30 minutes.
The treat is ready to eat!
A dish prepared according to the recipe will amaze guests with both its aesthetics and its wonderful taste. Do not forget to experiment with the filling, replacing cheese and cottage cheese, for example, with meat, potatoes, vegetables, etc. You can also replace Filo's dough, if it suddenly does not appear at hand, with a layered yeast-free. But remember that in this case, the calorie content of the meal will increase significantly.
Step by step recipe with photo
- mix flour, two pinches of salt, butter and a spattered egg
- gradually add water as much as needed in order to get a VERY ELASTIC dough
- knead this dough for at least 10 minutes
- divide the dough into 4 balls
- give the dough to rest in a dry place
- on a VERY BIG TABLE (OR BOARD) roll out the dough using a rolling pin VERY - VERY THIN AS A PAPER
BASIC RULE - DO NOT LEAVE THE TEST TOO LONG IN THE AIR
ANOTHER RULE - PUT TEST IN MINIMUM MINIMUM FOR 8 HOURS
AND FINALLY - Pull THE TEST MINIMUM 2 HOURS BEFORE USE
The dough is well stored in a refrigerator in an airtight container, even in a freezer.
To use the dough immediately, you need to leave it to dry for no more than one hour.
- 2.5 cups flour
- 1 glass of water
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- a pinch of salt.
Knead a homogeneous dough from all components and put it in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Then, after this time, we separate a small piece and roll it as thin as possible. Then put the rolling pin aside and pull the dough by hand until it becomes almost transparent. So we do with all the other pieces of our dough. Here and all the wisdom. Yes, so that the made layers of dough do not stick together, sprinkle them with starch (not flour. Starch)
Option II - Greek
- 5 glasses of flour
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2.5 glasses of water
- 2 tbsp vinegar (4.5%)
Set aside 0.5 cups of flour. Of the remaining ingredients, knead the dough and put in the cold for 1 hour.
Divide the dough into 20 parts. Roll out each piece and stretch.
For pies with vegetable fillings, the dough can be slightly changed by adding 2 raw eggs to the dough and reducing the amount of water to 1.5 cups.