Damage to the microwave oven knocks us out of the rut: we have to get pans and pans again for heating. One of the frequent breakdowns of the device is a blown fuse during a power surge. Everyone should know how and what to replace the fuse to quickly restore the microwave.
Fuse Design, Varieties
Why use a microwave fuse? It protects the electronics from voltage surges, or rather, its consequences. Instability in the network leads to a sharp jump in voltage and burnout of the electronic components of the microwave oven.
Therefore, before the current arrives at the “stuffing” of the equipment, it passes through a flask with a metal thread. If the value in the network exceeds the nominal, then the thread burns out, breaking the circuit and protecting the device.
The glass (ceramic) fuse bulb serves as a protective sheath against splashes when melting the thread.
When the part burns out, the Samsung microwave (Samsung), Daewoo may not turn on.
How many are in the microwave? There are three types of protective devices:
- Network Located on the input cable. Provide protection not only for equipment from surges in the network, but also for the entire home circuit from short circuits. The latter often happens when one of the microwave elements fails. In case of any malfunction, the protection disconnects the equipment from the network.
- High voltage. Why do they fire? As soon as an overload occurs, the fuse breaks the circuit for the safety of the magnetron and transformer - one of the main components of the microwave oven. Sometimes, at the same time, the machine is knocked out on the shield. What does it look like and where is it located? It is located right next to the transformer and is locked in a plastic case.
- Another fuse is mounted on an electronically controlled microwave. Additionally, it serves as a converter of electric current to a suitable voltage for electronics. Where is? The protection element is located above the primary winding of the transformer and is enclosed in insulation. Therefore, if it burns out, changing it is quite difficult.
How to determine the type of fuse in your model? To do this, look in the instructions. High voltage products are very rare. And the point here is not the structural features, but the fact that they are not installed at all plants. Most often you can find a network.
If the high-voltage protection burns out, everything except heating will work in the microwave oven. You can set the dish to warm up, while the circle will rotate, but the food will remain cold.
If the network element burns, then the operation of the equipment is impossible.
Before replacing a part, unplug the microwave oven. Arm yourself with a Phillips screwdriver and unscrew the screws securing the casing.
Now inspect the constituent elements. What does a blown fuse look like? On visual inspection, it will be swollen or black traces of fumes will be visible.
If the flask is glass, you can see the broken thread inside. With a short circuit, a breakdown is more difficult to detect. To do this, tests are carried out with a multimeter in resistance mode:
- Attach the probes to the contacts of the device.
- Everything is working properly if zero is displayed on the screen.
- If it displays a value other than zero or “OL” - the part has burned out, it is necessary to change it.
For repairs you will need identical elements. They must have the same dimensions and current spacing. Usually these indicators are indicated on the case. You can see them through a magnifying glass.
Important! Do not install a new fuse with your bare hands. Use pliers or rubber gloves. Some microwave parts retain voltage even when unplugged.
After installation, reassemble the device in the reverse order. When turning on, make sure that all elements are operational.
Do not carry out independent repairs if you have not done this before. Ignorance of the microwave device can lead not only to a complete breakdown, but also to electric shock.
The fuse, based on its name, serves to prevent a short circuit in the device circuit. During power surges, the fuse serves as a stabilizer of electric current, preventing all the microwave oven - its electronic components - from failing. The highest quality for use in furnaces is considered fusible products, which provide a sufficiently high reliability in case of emergency.
So the principle of operation is the operation and blowing of the fuse during sudden power surges. With a sharp increase in the load on the electronic part of the product, the components can simply blow out, so if this situation occurs, the fuse should disconnect the microwave from electricity consumption.
This part in its classic form is presented in the form of a tube into which a metal wire is sealed. The tube is most often made of glass or ceramics, also in the ends of the tube there are contacts in the form of metal caps.
But how to hang the microwave on the wall on the bracket and how to do all the work yourself, is indicated here.
On the video - a description of the fuses:
You may also be interested in information about which blender is better submersible or stationary and by what parameters it is worth making the best choice.
This type of component is used in several places in the microwave and each of them performs its own separate function:
- High-voltage fuses, which are used in case of malfunctions with the microwave generator - magnetron. Such products protect it from overvoltage and final failure. If such fuses blow out (if they cannot withstand the load and melt themselves), it is necessary to immediately replace them with a new element, since a repeated power surge will damage the magnetron, which will lead to breakdown of the entire microwave and a short circuit. These fuses, as usual, use additional insulation in the form of plastic casings, which provide additional protection when the circuit breaks,
Fuses that are located at the input for power. It is this fuse that assumes the function of protecting the entire system in case of emergency situations with electrical wiring. These products are made in the form of a flask.
You may also be interested in information on how the gorenje mo17dw microwave oven and oven are used and how they are used.
Replacing a failed fuse
In order to understand the integrity of the fuse inside the housing, it is necessary to carry out preventive maintenance after a strong power surge (in some modern models there is a diagnostic system that itself signals a breakdown). In case of failure, such fuses must be replaced.
In most microwave ovens, the replacement process is identical and occurs in several stages:
- The safety fuses of the vast majority of microwaves are located inside the metal housing on the back. In order to dismantle the cover, you need to use a screwdriver and unscrew several screws from the back of the case (their number can vary from 4 to 8-10),
- The fuse is located near the power input and is held on special latches, of which it is necessary to dismantle it, before this, be sure to disconnect the microwave from the electrical network,
- Then it is necessary to visually and technically fix the integrity of the device. If it fails with visual damage that can be identified by the burnout of the wire in the bulb, it becomes black. Also, the performance of the device is checked using a multimeter. The manufacturer often during the production of the microwave indicates the rated power of the fuse, if this did not happen, it is necessary to carefully study the flask on it, it must be indicated how many amperes are the current strength,
You may also be interested in information on how to use the Samsung microwave oven with grill and convection.
In the video - fuse replacement in detail:
What is the best microwave oven to use and by what parameters should you choose them, this information will help to understand.
There are a fairly large number of manufacturers on the market that produce spare parts for microwave ovens, including fuses:
- Samsung - Korean manufacturer of household appliances. It also produces fuses, but specifically for its microwave ovens, which, however, does not exclude the possibility of using these fuses in other furnaces. The main thing in this case is the coincidence of the rated power and fuse design. However, it is worth remembering that the products from this brand are quite expensive, although of high quality. The average cost is about 500-700 rubles per unit. But what inexpensive built-in microwave ovens are and how to use them for the best result, this article will help to understand.
LG - Another Korean manufacturer of household appliances. This manufacturer also makes fuses in most cases on the model of its own production, but to a lesser extent produces universal fuses. At the cost of this product is in the average price range and amounts to 300-600 rubles. In addition, these fuses are of high quality workmanship and long service life. You may also be interested in information about how it looks and how to use an electric built-in oven with microwave.
Bosch - German manufacturer of quality fuses of a wide range. It has in its arsenal a large set of various universal fuses that can be matched to almost any microwave model. The cost may also vary depending on the power and type of fuse and ranges from 200 to 700 rubles. You may also be interested in information on how to choose a good inexpensive and high-quality blender.
How does a microwave work?
The process of microwave ovens is simple and has long been known to everyone. Food in the microwave is heated due to the influence of microwaves inside the chamber, which are formed when you turn on the desired mode. What does a microwave oven consist of?
A microwave consists of elements such as:
- Control Panel.
- Drive unit.
- Roller cage.
The generated microwave fields are converted into heat, which produces heating of the food.
In a small chamber, the food heats up very quickly. It is because of this property that microwave ovens have gained enormous demand and entered our everyday life, making it easier. This thing has definitely become one of the basic needs for good housewives due to its convenience and speed.
About fuse operation
One of the most common causes of a microwave failure is a blown fuse. When diagnosing, it is first necessary to check this particular part. What is this element?
A fuse is an element of an electrical circuit that performs a protective function. There are several types of fuses. Microwave ovens are equipped with fuses, which is why we will take them into account.
The element is a metal thread in a glass case with two metal contacts at the ends. When an increased voltage is applied to the circuit, the metal thread melts, which leads to an emergency shutdown of the entire system. At normal voltage, the thread withstands and is used as a conductor of electric current. All elements of the electrical circuit in the microwave are arranged in a serial connection circuit.
Thus, only he fails. All subsequent chain parts remain operational. In order for the stove to work again, it is necessary to replace the blown fuse. If, after replacement, the microwave does not work, then it is necessary to look for a burned out element.
Reasons for the failure of an element
There are two common causes of a fuse blowing:
- Power surge. When the microwave voltage is exceeded, the fuse fails and turns off the entire system.
- Door closing switches. Their main goal is to close the camera to prevent microwaves from exiting. When you turn off the microwave, they work and open the door. In this type of household appliances, three such devices are often used. In the event that the springs of these parts become unusable or a layer of grease has accumulated on them, the function works with a delay, and this causes a breakdown.
How to change the fuse?
In microwave ovens that have a simple package, three fuses are often found. To replace is not difficult. Since the case is transparent, failure is easy to determine.
Bad fuse example
Before starting the procedure, it is imperative to protect yourself from electric shock and turn off the device from the network. Next, remove the back cover. The cover is well fixed in order to create insulation and not to let out waves.
The control board of the device. The transformer is yellow, the capacitor is red.
After opening the case, you will immediately find them in such places:
- On the control board of the device.
- Near the power supply.
- Between a capacitor (an element resembling a keg) and a transformer (an element with a copper winding).
Microwave without back cover
For replacement, it is recommended to select an analog. Another view may not come up and fail immediately. Before checking the operation, it is necessary to close the case back. Do not turn on the appliance without a cover. The radiation from the device is dangerous to health and other equipment and should not go beyond the enclosure.
If after replacing the fuses anyway continue to blow, you must:
- Make sure that the voltage in the network meets the standards and the flow is stable.
- Another breakdown. Among the faulty parts, a high-voltage diode, a transformer (short circuit between the windings) and a magnetron are most often found.
If you do not have sufficient knowledge and skills in electrical engineering, as well as the necessary diagnostic devices, such as a multimeter, then it is recommended to contact a service center. It is better to entrust such work to experienced specialists.
Summarize. There is nothing complicated in the replacement process. Replacement can be done independently, choosing the same type. Type can be identified by special markings written on the part.
It is quite easy to identify and replace a burned-out element due to the fact that they are often produced transparent. The fuse on the shaded fuses also indicates that it is not suitable for use. Before the process, be sure to disconnect the device from the mains in order to avoid electric shock, and close the case before use.
In order to prevent damage, follow all the requirements for proper and safe operation specified in the product instructions. Make sure that all necessary conditions are met for work. Follow all safety precautions.